CH. 2: The Start of Infinite Regressions (II)

What kind of words did she need to use to tell that story in a normal way that made sense?

"I will return! Until Your Highness doesn't die!"

Ophelia grabbed her head with both hands. The explanation hadn't changed from before.

Richard's low voice fell over the top of her frustrated head.

"I know."

"So, let me explain what this means again... what?"

"I said I know."

He wiped his face with one hand.

"Because like you, I am also returning."

Boredom and resignation were buried beneath the calm voice.

Ophelia was speechless once again.

She wondered if what she had just heard was a hallucination or not. Richard and Ophelia, who blankly opened and closed her mouth, stared at each other for a while.

—Hey... Don't tell me, you too?

Towards Ophelia who asked with her eyes, Richard answered with unimpressed eyes.

—Yes, me too.

A few seconds after tacit consent. Ophelia groaned.

"Your Highness is also returning? After you die?"

"Didn't I say so?"

"Oh my gosh."

Ophelia lost strength in her legs and flopped down next to the bed. Raising her trembling hands, she rubbed her dry face as she dragged Richard away.

"Same... same regression..."

She was puzzled, embarrassed, and glad that she had met someone in the same situation. And all at once, the fear of the fact that this wasn't happening because she was crazy came rushing in.

Ophelia opened her eyes wide and lifted her head. She, pale enough to be stark white, asked Richard again.

"Three days ago. Do you remember the assassins?"

"Yes. Come to think of it, you were shouting that there were assassins."

Richard tilted his head slightly, as if realizing now.

"I returned for the first time that day. Although I always died before Your Highness. It doesn't matter. At what point did you return to that day?"

"Before entering the banquet hall."

"If you could be more specific..."

"Literally right before entering the banquet hall."

At the end of his answer, the two shut their mouths. She asked about the timing of his regression to look for any sort of clue to this crazy regression.

However, it was a failure because it was difficult to know whether the time when the crown prince went to the banquet hall and when she was scolded by her mother was the same.

Then another clue... Oh? Ophelia, who had been searching for three days, raised her head.

"Your Highness! Why did you keep doing that when you keep coming back?"

Why was it that every time she regressed, he behaved exactly the same until she did something else?

"Why?"

"Why did you just stay still!"

Richard didn't answer.

"If Your Highness doesn't die, the regression is over! No, are your conditions for ending your regression different from mine?"