CH. 17: A Good Friend (II)

"I think it's because of me."

"She said she's recuperating because she is not feeling well and there's a risk of infection."

"It could be. But..."

Ophelia brought up what had happened.

She let out a long sigh as she even talked about how cold Iris got after the hunting competition.

"I know I'm a parachute."

"Parachute?"

"Ah, um. So this is what the countryside grandfather told me. A person whose abilities and personality have not been verified suddenly becomes a member of the organization without any notice under the protection of a superior in the organization."

"Why do you call that a parachute?"

"That grandfather is always looking for something new."

It's not a lie. Because she hadn't decided whether her grandfather was Archimedes or an unknown person who first coined the term parachute.

"Anyway, the terminology isn't important, I know I'm that kind of person. Because I hung around Your Highness and became an aide overnight."

"It didn't happen overnight."

"Infinite regression is a time that only exists between Your Majesty and I. In other people's view, it's at the level of appearing when they close their eyes."

"Didn't I approve?"

"Of course. But, um... Still, something is different. Anyway, I understand that she hates me. I know very well that not everyone can like me. Especially if they're in the same position as Iris. Yes. I understand. However!"

Ophelia exclaimed, taking in a deep breath and exhaling.

"Isn't it too much that she doesn't want to talk to me so much that she doesn't even go to work! Of course, all the conversations we've had so far have been work-related, but now it means she doesn't even like that!"

The long story of Ophelia's trouble ended, but Richard's reaction was bland enough to make it seem funny that she had been thinking and agonizing for several days.

"Well."

"Does she hate it so much? I must have been the only one who misunderstood that we have developed a sense of camaraderie after being together almost all day for a few days."

Ophelia seemed to have lost her strength, now looking despondent

Then, Richard asked, tapping his chin.

"Do you really need to like Iris or build camaraderie with her?"

"It... it's not like that."

"If it really bothers you, you can repeat the regression and redefine your relationship with Iris until you are satisfied with it."

"That... is also true."

"Then there will be no problem."

It was a voice drier than a desert that had not rained in years.

His eyes, which seemed to have transferred the afternoon sun, were also dry.

Yes. Only Richard and Ophelia were trapped in this cursed bondage of infinite regression.

So, as he said, she could repeat the regression until her relationship with Iris improves, making all of the existing issues go away.

The countless pasts, such as relationships and conversations that other people could not remember, would remain as memories for only him and her.