CH. 13: Another Regressor (III)

Not knowing Ophelia's burning heart, the sound of the start of the hunting competition rang out.

'Is it too late? No, there's still a chance...'

Biting her lip, Ophelia took one step towards Richard, but stopped at the hand pulling her shoulder from behind.

Ophelia turned her head and her eyes widened like a rabbit's.

"Iris?"

If this icy woman caught her...

"Are there any documents left to process?"

Iris shook her head and opened her heavy mouth towards Ophelia, whose shoulders drooped with a very somber face.

"It's not like that."

"Then... then what is it..."

She was the one who treated Ophelia as someone she didn't have to talk to if not for work.

"If you stand there, you'll be eaten in an instant."

"Yes? Can a bear or leopard come all the way here?"

As Ophelia looked at the forest in surprise, Iris was silent for a moment with an indescribable expression.

"Beans? I solved it with water."

"I haven't seen a fan, there's only garbage in front of me."

'I thought she wasn't an ordinary lady, but...'

No matter how she looked, that's not what being 'eaten up' means, right? It couldn't be that she couldn't feel the gaze of the knights and lords who were staring at them.

'Is she pretending to be naive?'

Iris had a sharp thought for a second, but it quickly subsided and she shook her head.

"It doesn't mean that. I mean, those people are going to attack your handkerchief like a herd of wolves."

"Ah."

Ophelia, who followed Iris' gaze, found the numerous eyes that were staring at her, gleaming with greed.

"I just thought that they talked a lot about the weather unnecessarily."

At the lament that came out of Ophelia's mouth, Iris asked,

"You mean you went through it and didn't realize?"

"I was just wondering if the weather was incredibly important for a hunting competition."

That's right, pretending to be innocent...

"I didn't think anyone who 'had eaten meat before' was coming at me because they're interested in me."

"Pfft... Ahem. Hmmmm."

Towards Ophelia's absolute sincerity, Iris had to cover up her unwitting laughter with a cough.

Contrary to what Iris thought, Ophelia wasn't trying to pretend to be naive, she just saw her situation in an overly realistic way.

"That interest..."

"Oh, I know. It's not that they're interested in me, but that they have a great interest in the Crown Prince. And the Crown Prince has no interest in aides or idiots who try to coax him in a position like this."

At Ophelia's clean and accurate answer, Iris' face softened slightly from her usual expression akin to the cold north wind.

...A new assistant appeared without knowing whether it had fallen from the sky or rose from the ground. Iris never trusted Ophelia because she came in brazenly without any verification of ability, character, or loyalty.