Chapter 7

"Okay girls line up!", our teacher Valerie said joyfully. It was our first and last lesson together. It was supposed to learn and remind the pets why they were here.

We did as she said and she asked each of us who's Master we belonged too.

She wrote down our answers in her notebook and walked over to a platform in the middle of the room.

She stood on top of it, making her even taller than she already was. "So, do you all know what's a pet's purpose is?" she asked and smiled happily.

"It is to serve their Master and Mistress, and to give them pleasure. It is to obey their every request and never asks them why."

"It is to let them drink whenever they want. And it is not cause a mess when it happens, and if you do cause a mess and they decide to punish you, you shall be glad they do it.", she said.

"If you die at the hands of a vampire, you shall be honored. It's a purposeful death that gave one Master or Mistress pleasure. And after all, that's why humans exist", she finished and laughed.

Her little speech about a pet's purpose wasn't surprising, but I still felt choked in a way.

"Now now, pair yourselves up with one another and retell each other what I just said."

I paired myself with Maya. Both of us were able to recite what Valerie had told us.

I noticed Maya had new fang marks on her body, just above her collarbone. There were also bruises on her neck, hickeys?

What the hell?!

I forced myself to remain a neutral expression when Maya met my eyes, but it was hard.

"Okay girls! Time to head back to your masters! And remember to please them!", Valerie said and lead all of us out from the room.

We found ourselves standing in the hall, waiting for our Masters and Mistresses to come pick us up.

It was fine to be alone as long as we had a collar on. The collar worked as a sign that this pet was already taken.

There were cases where pets somehow ended up outside their Masters room without a collar, and they weren't often seen again.

I stood with Maya and we waited for Erwan and Atlas. One by one Masters and Mistresses came and picked up their pets.

In the end, it was me, Maya and Iris left, Natasha's pet. Natasha came and clipped her leash on Iris collar.

She yanked her hard when they were about to walk. "Stay focused", she purred in a honey laced voice.

Iris looked distressed but tried to keep up with Natasha as they rounded the corner.

I felt bad for Iris. I knew I was lucky with my Master. Not everyone was so generous and gentle as he was.

I heard a pair of footsteps come closer and I knew who those voices belonged to. It was Atlas and Erwan.

They talked about the upcoming festival and what they would like to do and see once they were there.

Erwan wanted to drink and get drunk. I never understood what was so thrilling about being half gone half there in your mind. And the burning sensation when you chugged the drink down?

No thanks, I'd rather drink water instead.

Atlas wanted to try their pumpkin spice latte as it was popular among the locals. Both vampires and humans were allowed at the festival, making it the most awaited festival of the year.

Atlas had a severe caffeine addiction. Well, maybe not a severe addiction but I have seen multiple coffee mugs on his work desk. He liked everything from black coffee to caramel coffee with whipped cream.

When I wasn't a pet yet, I had a coffee once. I didn't like the bitter taste, but when you added a lot of sugar it got drinkable.

Atlas bend down and clipped the leash around my collar. So did Erwan with Maya. They continued to talk until we were in front of Erwan's doorm room. "See you at lunch", he said and stepped into his dorm.

Atlas said goodbye and we left, heading over to his dorm room. He greeted some vampires as we passed them and if I understood right, they would also be at the festival in the Maple Park.

I also spotted a poster commercing the festival. It was kind of huge then, I thought as Atlas unlocked his dorm.

He bend down again to take the whole collar off of me, and I was about to go into the cage when he called my name.

I faced him as he said: "Can I see your back?" I nodded and turned around.

Ever so carefully, I felt his hand slowly lift my shirt from the back, careful to not make me startle. I blushed, and I didn't know why.

When it was fully up I waited in silence for him to examine me. He trailed his hands over one particular spot and said: "This one needs some work", and reached over to take a prescribed bottle that Rowan send him.

I felt his hand once again on my back, applying something cold. I arced my back the first time his fingers came in contact with my back, the cold cream being a little unpleasant at first.

"There, there" he said and pulled down my shirt again. "It looks good, no need to worry", he said and it must have stood written in my face that I did do worry.

I made my way over to the cage and crouched down to crawl into it. "No need for that when it's just me here", Atlas said and gestured me towards the couch instead.

I was surprised. I knew he was chill, but not that chill. I figured it must be because my back was still healing, and didn't he said "the healthier host the healthier blood"? Yeah he did, and that must be why he let me be on the couch for now.

The rest of the day went past in a rush. On the lunch we ate with Erwan and Maya. Luckily we didn't get interrupted by Natasha this time, but I could tell that we wouldn't have the luck at our side next time.

Atlas didn't have the energy to eat at the dining hall in the evening, so he just ordered food for us in the room. He ordered pasta carbonara for himself and whatever the pets dinner was today.

I faced a plate with mostly vegetables and some kind of fruit? I didn't know but it looked weird. Today I didn't get meat, something Atlas looked a little concerned about.

Yeah, concerned because his pet wouldn't gain weight and get good blood to drink from.

An inner voice said to me. Anyway, we ate and sent the dishes down again with some servant.

I made myself comfy on the couch and the fatigue took me surprisingly fast. Tomorrow was a big day. The day. The festival day. I was actually a little excited for it.

That was the last thing on my mind before sleep claimed me.

——————————꧁꧂———————————

Authors Note

WE JUST REACHED 80 READERS!!!

I'm so happy right now. I never thought I could reach this numbers in less than a week!

So Marlow had her first and last lesson of a pet's purpose.

The festival for everyone was kind of a big deal, and Marlow seems intrigued in it too!

With that said, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! And please give me some ideas what you want this story to contain.

And as always,

Vote, comment and share!

-Blondie

Word count: 1300