Chapter 9

Atlas' POV

We sat in the dining hall and ate lunch. I had pasta with garlic bread. Delicious as always. Erwan had tomato soup with cheese bread.

The pets ate their usual lunch, which consisted of some vegetables and sometimes a stiff-looking piece of meat.

Marlow only got vegetables this time though. I have to admit, they don't give pets enough food for them to gain weight. Only to maintain their produce of blood.

Maya looked healthy, and I knew Erwan did order more food up to their room sometimes. Something I might start to do if the food doesn't get better.

Me and Erwan sat in our usual spot, chatting about how fun yesterday had been. We talked about what we liked the most and then about the upcoming Autumn Ball.

Yikes, time went by fast.

The pets were also allowed on the Autumn Ball. But they had their own table with food and drinks.

The vampires got all different and luxurious food to choose from. They even had all the different blood types carefully poured in small glasses, almost like a shot glass but bigger.

The only downside in this ball was that it was forbidden to drink from a living host, aka all the pets.

Maybe that's a good thing though. It's only for a night and the pets might as well enjoy it too.

Marlow ate everything on her plate except some beans. I'm not a fan of beans either.

"Any plans on what you're going to do tomorrow?", I asked Erwan. "Nah, I'll brobably just relax in my room, the festival took some energy", he answered.

I nodded in answer.

The thing that bothered me was that I didn't find the book I was looking for during the festival.

I was curious about whether a pet and a vampire could be mates. I've found some books about it but those only scratched on the top, and gave me information I already knew.

Me and Erwan continued to chitchat a bit about our upcoming plans but then Erwan stoped, and eyed me.

Why would he-?

Oh. Oh.

We kind of had an own sign language. And his eyes told me that a certain vampire was about to make an entrance.

"Hi Atlas!", she exclaimed and then her scent hit me. It was sweet, too sweet and with her over enthusiasm it made me cringe.

"Hi Natasha", I answered but kept my tone casual. "I didn't see you at the festival yesterday. Weren't you there?", she asked.

I was there but just hiding from you.

"I was, and it was a lot of people", I answered and continued to eat my pasta, that somehow didn't feel as delicious as before.

"Yeah maybe that's why I didn't spot you", she giggled and draped her arms around my neck.

It was the same old same. She being super happy to see me, and me trying to play it down. It didn't work. Never did, and never would.

One thing that was new was that her pet wasn't in tow with her. She usually stood silently behind Natasha wherever she'd go.

Maybe she'd suck her dry. She'd done it with her former pets and I didn't doubt that she'd do it again.

Poor Iris, maybe it was a blessing for her.

Natasha continued to blabber about all different kind of things that happened in her life, while she sat close to me now.

She had made Marlow scoot away with a glare and it made me feel... annoyed?

I tried to ignore it and succeeded, but Marlow for sure didn't. She looked petrified. Her whole body was tense and she looked down on her plate.

Anyway, after what felt like ages Natasha finally said goodbye and wished to see us at the Autumn ball later this week.

When she left I gave Erwan a knowing look, that said: finally some peace.

We left shortly after Natasha, but instead of going up the stairs toward our dorm I headed towards where Rowan had his clinic.

I had already called him early this morning, and we decided it was time for the last check up of Marlow's back.

The healed marks didn't look bad when I last checked so I'm sure it'll be fine.

I felt Marlow hesitate when I held her leash. She didn't tug but I had to drag her a little when we passed the stairs that led towards our dorm. I turned around and said:

"We are only going to Rowan to check out if your back has healed as it should".

Despite me reassuring her that it would be fine I still picked up her footsteps going slower than normal and the way she almost walked in me when we stopped outside Rowan's told me she wasn't convinced.

I opened and walked in through the familiar room. Rowan was already prepared with gloves and nodded a 'hello' towards me. I smiled in reply.

"So, last checkup on your back Marlow", Rowan said and gestured towards the island. Marlow stiffened once again as I bend down and lifted her up onto the island.

She weighted nothing, and when Rowan carefully lifted up her shirt to display her back I could almost make out her ribs.

Rowan carefully trailed his hands along all the marks that were left from the whip. I smelled Marlow's fear and I could see how uncomfortable she was.

Rowan was professional and didn't touch her more than he needed to. After a while he concluded that it was healed correctly, and we could leave.

I thanked him and walked out of the clinic with Marlow. I hoped that that was the last time we were here. Seeing Marlow in hurt wasn't... pleasant for me.

We made our way over the castle grounds, not many outside in the chill autumn weather. It was a peaceful walk to our dorm room, no one bothered us and not even Natasha, who usually pops out of nowhere.

Thank God.

I took of Marlow's collar and let her do whatever she wanted in the dorm. I wasn't a fan of keeping my pets locked in their cage, and I didn't plan to change that.

I sat down at my desk and started to work on the essay that was due to Monday.

Ughh so boring.

I managed to finish the whole essay in only two hours. It usually takes me longer since I'm dyslexic, but with many years practice I've gotten better.

——————————꧁꧂——————————

Authors Note

So we finally got to see a POV from Atlas, fun right?

And omg this story has almost 200 views!!

Ahh so excited!

Anyway, don't know when the next chapter will come out. Maybe tomorrow? Or the day after that? Anyway, hold on and stay patient guysss.

And as always,

Vote, Comment and Share!!

-Blondie

Word count: 1100