Chapter 10

Marlow's POV

Atlas said that we were heading into the city today. He needed to look for something. A book? A recipe for something? I'm not sure since I was half asleep when he told me yesterday.

I just went straight into bed after dinner.

I didn't have any warm clothes, but luckily Atlas let me lend one of his hoodies.

I was drowning in the fabric. My hands were completely covered and the hoodie reached down to my knees. It smelled of him. Pine-forest and oranges.

This time we were going alone. Erwan couldn't join us and inviting someone with such short notice wasn't an option.

Atlas closed and locked our dorm, leaving the peaceful space behind.

Atlas walked in front of me, with the leash hanging loosely in his hand. If I stopped he might drop it.

But I know better than that. There is no escape from a vampire, and better a pet in this case than dead.

I could see him secretly glancing at me, but I didn't give him any indication that I saw him in his action.

Atlas held the big door open for me when we walked out onto the castle grounds.

Well, technically school grounds but the whole place was massive and looked like a castle, so castle it is.

Anyway, we made our way over the castle grounds and stopped in front of a black limo.

Fancy huh?

Atlas held the door to the car open for me again.

I stepped into it and sat quietly on one of the limo's comfy seats. The seat was made out of black leather, matching the vibe of the limo's outside.

Atlas climbed in after me and sat across me, his legs almost takin two seats.

Stupid manspreading.

Atlas talked with the driver, a general vampire and asked him to take us to 'Blackwood city'.

The driver began to drive to the city and I looked aimlessly out through the limo's window.

——————————꧁꧂——————————

We entered an old looking dusty library. There were books everywhere and no shop owner to be seen. Atlas left me to sit on a worm eaten couch while he rummaged through books.

He said he needed to find a specific book, but when I asked which he didn't answer. He walked further into the library, looking over various books in the shelves.

"Strange little creature" I heard someone say. I froze. It was a voice that was beautiful, young and old and terrifying all the same.

"Looks and smells like human... but something strange within it..." it purred.

I shrinked back against the couch. It was like the thing was talking straight through my mind. Fear made its way up my spine, and I shudderd.

I have read in Atlas' books about multiple different creatures. Not only vampires infested the world now. Werewolves, fairies and other supernatural beings joined the takeover, not fearing being seen by humans anymore.

But this thing that spoke to me didn't ring any bells. "She does not now yet... does she?" It spoke to me in third person.

I was about to answer, when Atlas emerged from behind a bookshelf, holding multiple books in his arms.

"Found what I looked for" he said to me, unaware of the strange encounter that happened just seconds ago.

He took my leash off the couch and led me out of the library. I looked back just once, and thought I saw a column of black smoke at the window. I looked away from it, feeling as if I had crossed a line somehow.

Later, it would keep me awaken for hours, wondering what it was.

——————————꧁꧂——————————

Authors Note

So sorry for the veeeryy long wait guys!

And omg... we have reached over 400 views!!!

This chapter was shorter than usual, but I just had to upload something.

I'm so happy for all the comments I have gotten so far.

Thanks to @WaddlesThePiggo for things to add further in my book!

I have started school again so updating this book will take time. Thanks to all of you who have waited, I appreciate it!

-Blondie

Word count: 700