Chapter 8

Even though we were outside it was still a crowded space. There were humans, pets, vampires and other creatures that I couldn't put a name to.

Atlas held my leash tight as we zigzagged through a specific crowded area of vampires all looking towards the center where a vampire presented a newly invented whip.

It was made of leather and at the very end of it was an ironclad piece of wood that looked like it could rip through any type of material.

The handle of the whip was also carefully designed, with iron protecting the user's knuckles, but also functioning as a perfect area to hit with.

I shuddered, thinking about how much it would hurt if being used.

To my horror, I recognized a vampire among the crowd. Natasha. She looked in awe at the vampire displaying the whip.

What a surprise.

I thought, when we finally got through the crowd. "Hello there Atlas!", Erwan greeted and hugged him tight. "Hello there cousin", Atlas answered and embraced him with just as much joy as Erwan.

"So what do you wanna do first? Watch the Fall games or try out the new pumpkin spice muffins they made this year?". "The games would be fun", Atlas chuckled and looked genuinely happy.

Atlas turned around and bent down to my level. I sucked in a breath as I felt Atlas' hands trace around my neck and unclasp the leash to the collar.

"You and Maya can go and see for yourself what the festival has to offer", Atlas said and gestured towards Maya, who was also free of her leash.

I nodded and Atlas and Erwan went to look at the games. I took a step towards Maya and we stood silently, watching each other.

"So.." I started to say but got caught off guard when I spotted Iris behind Maya, getting kicked in her stomach by Natasha.

The things I was about to say died on my tongue. I stiffened, and fear must have been written in my face because Maya turned to see what I was looking at.

We watched Natasha kick Iris again, now lying down on the ground curled up in a ball trying to protect herself with her arms.

"Let's go", Maya said and dragged me with her through the crowd, away from Iris and Natasha.

——————————꧁꧂——————————

About ten minutes later we found ourselves in front of a stand that sold dipped apples. "I've got some money, Erwan lend me", Maya said and pulled out a silver card with the initials E.A on. Erwan Archer.

I was surprised that he'd given her a money card. Erwan's own card for Christ's sake. I don't think Atlas would have let me have his.

Maya got a caramel covered apple. I got chocolate covered apple with tiny bits of brownie sprinkled on top of it.

We walked around together looking at different stands that sold various of items while we ate our apples.

We tried to keep out of vampires' ways but it was hard since they used their supernatural speed to get from one stand to another.

The next thing that caught our eyes were a group of people playing different instruments in a little tent.

The thing that surprised me most was that they were humans. Humans who looked happy. Humans who enjoyed to play and share their music.

We stood and watched them for a bit. I even recognized one pice of music they were playing.

I think it's called "Clair de Lune", but instead of it being played by a piano, the leading instrument was a violin.

The violin was followed by a group of cellos, and then a group violas. Together, they created a beautiful harmony. I almost felt teary-eyed, but I blinked away the feeling and the non-existent tears.

"Let's go get a hot drink", I suggested. Maya nodded and we headed for a stand with a sign that read: "Hot spot for hot shots and drinks".

The line to it was pretty long, but in the end it was worth it. I got hot chocolate with whipped cream, sprinkles and tiny marshmallows on top.

I felt my body go hot when I took the first gulp. It was delicious. The best drink I've ever had.

As if you have had anything other than water, a little voice inside my head taunted me.

Maya got a pumpkin spice latte and some cookies too. She munched on one of them and offered me one. I took it and smiled at her.

I didn't want to buy too much though, since I didn't have any money and the bill would go to Atlas.

We continued our little journey around the festival and both of us saw things we've never seen before.

A vampire performed an incredible stunt together with another vampire that involved them being extremely high up in the air, then crashing down towards the ground before latching onto a bar that was swinging vertical.

They also made several flips in the air before one of them held onto one another's legs.

It was scary, but knowing that a fall from that height with a vampire's strength wouldn't cause them any damage made me feel a little more relaxed.

Maybe disappointed too.

Everyone applauded including us when they finished their performance. They bowed to the audience and started to talk with other members in their group.

It was getting dark and I was a little tired to be honest. I didn't see Iris one more time after the incident with Natasha and I didn't know what to make out of it.

Maya and I was about to leave when I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder. Then the scent hit me. His scent. Atlas' scent.

"Time to head home Marlow", Atlas said as he bend down and clipped on the leash. His scent had reluctantly become something I liked. It gave me a sense of peace.

Erwan was at Maya's side and together we walked back to Blackwood Vampire Academy. When we arrived the school it was fully dark outside.

It took all my powers to climb all the stairs and walk all the way back to our dorm. I meant Atlas' dorm.

We said goodbye to Erwan and Maya and closed the door to the dorm. Atlas bent down to take away the leash and the collar.

Hi fingers trailed around my neck when he did so, and I got goosebumps. I tried to tell myself it was because the weather was getting colder. It was almost November, but I didn't fool myself.

I laid down on the couch and draped the blanket over myself. I thought about how fun this day was, and wondered if I'd ever experience something like that again. I felt my eyelids get heavy and decided to give in to sleep.

——————————꧁꧂——————————

Authors Note

OMG GUYS I CAN'T BELEAVEEE ITTTT!!

We just reached 120 views!!

I never thought I'd get over 100 views when I first started this story. I'm very happy with those who have stayed since the start.

I would really appreciate your opinion on this story so please let me know in the comments.

-Blondie

Word count: 1200