Long Awaited Chat?

Marinette's POV:

I pulled a headband over my forehead as I began to wash the stubborn makeup off of my face. I was exhausted after we came back from dinner by the events of the day. Well, mainly the jet skiing. 

Somehow, with energy to spare, Adrien decided to go down to the lobby to browse the stores that filled the main floor of the hotel. He was truly a fashion-invested Agreste at heart. 

After I finished all of my skincare, I slid on my pajamas. They were, of course, another Alya special. The top was a red cami tank with a matching red lace trim along the subtly v-shaped neckline. The bottoms were loose, low-waisted short shorts with the same lace detail around the leg holes. I couldn't lie, though, they were surprisingly pretty comfortable. 

I laid with my back on the headboard of my side of the bed and began mindlessly looking through my phone. That's when I heard a peculiar knock on the window.

"Hello?" I said, perking up cautiously. I was scared easily to say the least, especially at night.

"Princess?" A voice called out in the darkness. 

"Chat? Is that you?" I slowly walked out of bed and towards the glass sliding door. Piercing viridescent eyes starkly contrasted the dark of the night. I snapped out of my trance and unlocked the door, opening it for him to come in. 

"You're ridicous" I laughed, closing the door behind him.

"I thought you'd never let me in." He joked, strutting into the room. 

"To what do I owe the pleasure, Kitty?" He walked up to face me, so he was looking directly down into my eyes at a close but comfortable distance. I crossed my arms, not breaking my position. 

"I just wanted to see how my princess was enjoying her vacation."

"Oh really, is that it?" I responded, skeptical. 

"Yep, cat's honor." He retorted, mockingly placing a hand on his chest.

"Right, okay... Well, things have been good." I paused. "We went jet skiing today." I turned away from him, walking across the room to the bed. 

Adrien's POV:

Marinette's excitement was apparent as she said this. Was it possible that I was a part of the reason that it was memorable?

"Wow, that's sounds fun." I wandered around the room distracted, acting interested in the scene as if I hadn't been in this very room countless times before. "Did you go with that guy friend of yours?" 

"Adrien?" 

"Yeah, That's the one." 

"Why do you care?" She began smiling. Maybe that question wasn't such a good idea. My curiosity had gotten the best of me. Yet, that's why I was here in the first place.

"I don't, I was just wondering." I backtracked. "You seem to like this dude." She sighed.

"You're right. I like Adrien."

"I am?" I tried to keep my composure. I don't know what I was expecting her to say, but I wasn't expecting that.

"Oh, god. Forgot I ever said anything." She held her face in her hands embarrassed. This was the best time as ever for me to figure out whatever I wanted to know. 

"It's okay, Marinette. You can trust me."  

She stared back at me blankly, unsure of what exactly to say. Finally, Marinette nodded and patted the place beside her on the edge of the bed, motioning for me to come over. I obliged, sitting a respectful distance as I placed myself next to her. 

"Thanks, Kitty." She whispered softly. Her tone evoked feelings in me that I struggled to suppress. Not the time, Adrien. 

"Anything for my purrincess." I tried to lighten the mood. It seemed to work, since she let out a quiet laugh. "So, tell me about this Adrien. How are things going with you two?"

"I don't know, Chat. It's complicated."

"Why?"

"Because he's my friend. I've known him since we were kids."

"And?"

"And I have no idea what he is thinking. So, it doesn't matter what I want anyway."

"Of course what you want matters." How could she think that it didn't?

"I guess..." But I could tell that Marinette didn't believe the words she was saying, because she looked down at the bed silently.

Without thinking, I used my finger to lift her chin up to face me. She held her standard surprised look, and neither of us dared to move. I think our faces both slowly moved towards one another. Or maybe it was just me. But before I knew it, I was planting a kiss onto her lips in the one way I knew how to reassure her. After a few seconds, she pushed me away. I saw her shake her head back and forth. 

"Chat... I can't." She laid one hand on my chest, as if to address me more personally and intimately. "You know I like Adrien."

And I love Ladybug. Maybe that was the way things were meant to be. Or maybe I only loved Ladybug because of how amazing I had mad her in my head. But either way, I couldn't kiss Marinette as Chat Noir. No. Because that would ruin everything with her as Adrien. What was I even thinking.

"And I like Ladybug." I agreed. "I should go." Something about her pushing me away made me feel dejected, and I honestly needed to escape the embarrassment. I backed away from her politely and stood up from the bed. 

"Don't forget about me with all your fangirls, okay?" She joked. I laughed humorlessly. 

"I couldn't even if I tried." I said in a serious but gentle tone. I hoped that I hadn't come off too strong.

She stared at me, and a silence hung over us as we looked at each other. 

"I'll see you around, right?" Marinette asked, in a way that seemed like she was asking me to make a promise.

"Yeah... yeah. I'll see you." I nodded. 

"Bye, Kitty."

"Goodnight, Princess."

I climbed back out the window, and slid gracefully back out into the chilly night air outside the room. 

I detransformed and made by way back to our hotel room from inside the resort. I quietly entered, and found Marinette passed out. I slid into bed next to her and looked at the ceiling as I tried to fall asleep. I knew exactly what I had to do tomorrow.