Chapter 13

Big Mama smiled, watching the young turtles devour their food happily. She glanced over at Splinter, who merely nibbled and picked at his food as he stared blankly at the empty seat beside him. Poor Lou. . . I can't imagine how heartbreaking it must be for his son to disappear again— She thought, before looking back down and taking a bite of her thorny-cricket salad (She is a spider woman after all).
She hummed in delight as she ate, having not had a cricket salad from this restaurant in quite a long while. She remembered trying to take Donnie and Frida here on the former's 4th week at the Nexus as a special treat. He absolutely loved the food he had gotten, devouring it not unlike the others were right now. She did vividly remember he had gotten a small array of fruits, vegetables, steak, and a single cookie for dessert.
She remembered his bright smile and his happy little stims as he ate. How him and Frida bickered about meaningless things like who the better opponent would be between two characters on a show that had played on a television earlier. Oh how he loved being here when he was. She remembered when they would talk about his tech, and when he began rambling about random stuff that she could only vaguely understand and somehow Frida could. She loved that little look she got when he realized she was actually listening.

She missed it. . .

She ended up being lost in thought, nearly forgetting to finish her salad before being snapped out of it by the blue masked one.
"Hey, y'okay? You've been. . Quiet." The slider noted, frowning. "A little too quiet, if you ask me."
"Oh! Yes, yes indeedy I'm fine!" She assured, nodding and waving it off. "Hey— I have an idea." She started, earning everyone's attention simultaneously.
"What is it?" The three brothers asked in unison, the other turtle and the human nodding in agreement at said question.
"What if we take purpley-boo here when we get him back?" She suggested. "I'm sure he would love to be back here again."

Everyone froze.

"Is. . Everything alright? Is it something I said?" She asked, clear confusion on her face. Why were they so quiet? It was only a lighthearted suggestion.
"Erm. . I'm not so sure that's a good idea—" Leo began, rubbing his arm and looking down, frown deepening.
"Oh? Why not—?" She blinked in confusion.
"Well— He might not be too well when we get him back—" Raph cleared his throat, having finished his food and pushed the plate away to rest his arms on the table. "Because—"
"Because it's Draxum, god knows what the guy is doing to Don right now!" Leo said, a little harsher than intended. He threw his hands up to emphasize his point.
"Oh, right—" She realized, then took another bite of her salad quietly. "My apologies, then. It was a mere suggestion."

"Who knows," Leo continued, not realizing he was still talking for a moment. "He could be dead by the time the stupid ass council does anything!" He snapped, glancing around the restaurant as they all let out a collective gasp. "What? It's true! Your stupid government doesn't do shi—!" He was cut off almost immediately by a hand over his mouth, scowling at Mikey, who had done so.
"Leo, calm down. . We can't afford to have the council hate us before they've even met us." The box turtle said quietly, slowly releasing his hand from the older's mouth.
"Baby blue. . I'm doing what I can. The council is not easy to meet with. There aren't many who would also be willing to help without the council to assist, either." She sighed.
"Well then that just says something about the council, now, doesn't it?" He countered, practically a snarl. "Maybe they just aren't really cut out for their job if they're allowing that hellspawn of a man to kidnap and use people for his stupid army."
"Bluesy—" Big Mama began, sighing and cutting herself off when he put a hand up to stop her.
"Please—" He interrupted, sighing directly after as he pinched his nose-bridge (Or where a nose bridge would be, it's moreso his snout bridge). "Please, don't call me that." He leaned back, glaring to the side with his arms crossed.
"As you wish bl- erm. . Leonardo—" She corrected herself quickly. "I'm very sorry for bringing it up—"
"Its- it's fine. . It's just a very touchy topic right now." Mikey replied, attempting to console her.
"Yeah— but I'm sure he'll be fine. He always is. Very soon, this'll all be back to normal." Raph said, not sure if it was to reassure them, or to keep himself from breaking down again.