We're not so different

Tom's POV*

Joanna guided us to this large neighborhood where the houses looked familiar. The houses reminded me of Kim's family's home back then. Yellow houses with flowers hanging on their terraces. But these flowers haven't been lit, and the houses were still standing. This place made me feel even more guilt than I already did. My heart begin to beat more rapidly - mostly because of stress and worry. I tried to convince myself to think that Kim would never do anything to harm herself... right? I hate this feeling - feeling of caring. I've never cared before, so why do I care so much? She's just a girl who lost her entire family and now I feel sorry because of it.

Joanna knew exactly where to go and how. We were still in the same neighborhood but now there was a large spruce forest surrounding the area. The old asphalt under our tires started to get cracked and bumpy, but Joanna still told us to keep going. 

As the asphalt got so bad that it had turned to gravel, Joanna finally told us to take a turn to the right. Bill took the turn and tried to see where he was driving. There were fewer houses now and the forest seemed to open up at the end of the road. When we looked closely, we saw that there was a car parked by the narrow road... my car.

"Tom, that's your car..", Joanna said from the back while trying to lean over the center console. 

"Shit... Tom, look.", Bill said almost at the same time when Joanna noticed my car sitting by the road. I tried to see what Bill was seeing, and after a while, it caught my eye.

"Holy fuck... Bill, stop the car here!", I yelled.

Bill hit the brakes and I hop out of the car. I was running towards Kim who was sitting on this empty plot of land with her head hanging down and back towards me. Her hair was open and hanging freely, and her clothes were easily recognized. She always had either flared jeans or a denim skirt styled with silver jewelry and tight, revealing shirts. Actually now she was wearing my hoodie and a pair of sweatpants from our closet. But the most recognizable aspect in her was her long, naturally curly pitch black hair. Her hair made me think about ravens, Friesians and matte black luxury cars.

I got closer to her - or her possible dead body - and I felt tears gathering in my eyes. The thing I had been afraid of for the whole time on the road had happened. She had shot herself, just because of me. Me, and my stupid decisions. 

Joanna's POV*

Bill and I stayed in the car, watching Tom running to Kim. Right now and here I finally realized how surprisingly much Tom cared for her. Bill had convinced me how cold and selfish Tom was - and that he never caught any feelings over a girl before. He told me how Tom had multiple girls over night just for "love for one night", but that he never fell in love. He never cared enough.

I quickly glanced at Bill who was sitting on the driver's seat. He was monitoring the situation outside intensively. He remained silent but I could read his thoughts through his sharp and focused look.

"What is it?", I asked him. I knew he was thinking of something. "What are you thinking?"

"I'm not sure...", he said with confusion. "Something's not right."

I switched my glance away from Bill to the windscreen. Tom was reaching Kim and he slowed down his run speed. He kept walking towards her and when he almost had reached her, Bill got out of the car.

"Bill! What the hell are you doing?", I yelled from the backseat of the car. I saw him pulling his gun out of his pocket and pointed it at Kim - or Tom - I wasn't sure, but I guess he pointed it at Kim.

"She isn't dead! Tom..! Back the fuck off!", Bill yelled to Tom from about 50 meters away. "Tom!"

I saw Tom turning around to see what was happening here and what was Bill fussing about. As he turned himself towards us, Kim suddenly stood up.

Kimberly's POV*

This unknown guy with fascinating style and finely braided cornrows was looking quite terrified because of his own gun. Well, it might be more terrified to get pointed at with your own gun than being the usual pointer. With my side eye, I saw Bill pointing his gun at me from some meters away, but I kept my cool. I've got pointed at before and I'm still somehow alive.

"Kim..?", he mumbled. He seemed sad and worried, but for nothing.

"Yes, Tom. What do you have to say, huh?"

"You fooled me.", he said while staring right at my eyes. I heard his worry and sadness fade away, now he was almost like himself. Cold and non-caring.

I needed to stay silent for a while and remind myself of the things this guy had done. He kidnapped me, used me and ruined me and my whole life. I wanted his life to end here, where my life had ended 7 years ago. In this exact place where all the nice memories were made - and then destroyed by him.

"The positions have changed.", I said and I knew he would piss off very soon. "We're not so different."

Tom's POV*

I thought I knew this girl who I'd caught feelings for and who I'd been following for almost my whole life, but this came out of box. Now she reminded me from myself. Cold, distant and selfish. Is this how she sees me? I understood why she hated me. Not only because I ruined her life, but I was a horrible person. Why would she ever care for me? Why would she ever forgive me?

"Your family, Kim... I'm so, so sorry.", I said as I raised my hands in a gesture of peace and mercy. 

"I don't believe you. You don't care, Tom. I know.", she said and kept the intensive eye contact. "And that's exactly what pisses me off!"

"You're wrong, Kim. I love you.", I said to her and fell on my knees down to the ground, still keeping my hands up.

Kimberly's POV*

This guy is a liar. Almost every each thing he says, is a lie. He was on his knees on the ground and I watched him feeling guilty and sorry. I moved my gaze to Joanna and Bill who both were still staying by the car, Bill's gun still pointing at me. I didn't care, I switched my gaze back to Tom.

"That's your mistake.", I said and moved my finger to the gun's trigger. "This must be done. This is the thing I've wanted for as long as I can remember. To kill whoever is in response of my family's fate."

"Don't..", he mumbled. I got closer to him and set the gun to point at his head. "Kim! I lov.."

Tom's POV*

I had closed my eyes already, but I heard a gunshot and I opened them. Kim was lying on the ground in front of me, bleeding to death. I looked at Bill who shot Kim. He was running towards me and Kim, and Joanna soon went after him.

"Tom!", I heard Bill yell. "Are you okay?", he asked when he got enough close.

"Jesus fuck of course I am, but Kim's not! Call an ambulance, now!", I yelled to him as I watched Kim struggling to stay alive. I can't lose her, she's the reason why I'm still alive.

Everything felt like falling apart. Bill was talking on phone, giving our locations and the situation. Joanna was crying and screaming by Kim's side as her condition was getting more severe. Her breath was slowing down and the pool of blood grew under her. I felt like I was losing my ability to hear and see properly. This moment felt unreal, this can't be happening.

I should be the one dying on the ground instead of Kimberly.