Chapter Twenty-Three (Rewritten)

┏━━━ ❀ ━━━┓
The Color Crimson
┗━━━ ❀ ━━━┛
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

(Lizzie Pov)

The games we played were foolish, and as the grains of sand clung between my fingers, my fist tightened. The sensation of her thighs against my waist was pushing me to the brink of insanity.

Words formed on her lips as she whipped her head to face the others. Her hair swirled around her in a wild dance, capturing the flames of the candles that added an ethereal glow to her silhouette.

She wasn’t talking to me, but she wasn’t not talking to me either. Leaning over, Wes passed over his rainbow-striped pipe. 

And my heart pounded in my head, its rhythmic beats almost drowning out the sound of her voice as she spoke to me. This time, directly to me, her eyes locking on mine. “What?” I ask, feeling like she's waiting for a response. 

An answer.

She doesn’t repeat herself. Deeming it not important enough to waste another breath. While still roasting from the others, she takes a hit. Her hand pressing me down into the sand, my gaze staying fixed on hers.

A soft chuckle reaches my ears as she leans down, hovering over me. And she blows a stream of smoke in my direction, her lips barely touching mine. And as she pulls away, I find myself lingering, wanting more. 

But once again, I never seem enough to keep her attention. Her focus shifts to Vince, who begins to mumble along with the background music.

"She'll only come out at night," he says, adopting a pose like he's about to perform for us. "The lean and hungry type" Vincent sings into his imaginary mic. He points to Viv before signaling her over. Singing so out of character, he's now joined by her, her back now pressed to his.

“So many have paid to see- What you think you're getting for free.” the two of them do this little dance together, 

“Money's the matter- If you're in it for love, You ain't gonna get too far." Viv continues, picking up where he left off, singing into her own invisible mic.

Vincent does a small shuffle in our direction, “Oh-oh, here she comes,” extending his hand to her.

And she completely ignores the hold I've taken on her jacket, pulling it out of my grasp. Despite that, she stands up, allowing him to twirl her in the sand beside me. 

Julian stood from the sand too, a surge of desperation filling his chest to get his hands on his girlfriend

Left on the ground beside Wes, we simply observed. Despite feeling a bit tangled up, everyone seemed to exude a natural rhythm. Glancing over, I catch sight of Wes. His eyes were big, fixed on her as she spun in circles with Viv.