Gray Area

Hela stood before Natasha and smiled. The Black Widow nodded before looking at Loki. "What was that you once said about me?" she asked. Loki looked up at her, his green eyes showing a twinkle for a split second.

You lie and kill; in the service of liars and killers, Loki telepathically communicated to her.

"I'm lying and killing again. In the service of a liar and a killer," Natasha told him.

I make no excuses about my work. It hurts people. What I can't stand is when murderers, like myself, cover their crimes beneath a coat of false pretenses, Loki responded coolly. Natasha knew that was what he was calling her previous work for the KGB and SHIELD. Natasha wanted to debate the matter more with Loki, but that was when somebody else invaded. Amora appeared before them, looking emotionally scarred. Her face was ravaged by tears, her lips parched, and her eyes red. Loki had made her suffer more sensitive images than anyone else, including Karnilla. The Enchantress looked up and saw the daughter of her enemy, and the Avenger, standing between her and her goal.

"You worthless fools! I will claim what is mine, over your dead bodies!" Amora said, creating a green fireball in her hand.

"I hate people like you. All bark, and no bite," Natasha said as she put her one hand behind her back. A throwing star was resting, hidden in the palm of her hand. Amora roared, and charged forward, predictable as ever. Natasha let her get close, before she released the star. It flew straight and true, hitting Amora right in the center of her forehead. The Enchantress stumbled backwards and sagged to her knees.

Well thrown! But it'll take more than that to defeat her. Severe her head from her body, and her magic will not be able to regenerate her. It will go to the next logical applicant. Myself, Loki said.

"Of course! You're the only one worthy!" Natasha teased as she drew one of her electrical rods.

No. It'll choose me because I already took some of her magic. The logical solution, Loki responded with a hint of 'you should have known that' in his voice.

"I hate you," Natasha said, right before somebody tossed her to the side. Hela came leaping in, as Karnilla had arrived. The Queen of Norns drew two short swords and attacked the Goddess of the Dead. Hela easily manipulated the Lion Heart sword, and tossed one of Karnilla's swords to the side.

"When do you train? Once every thousand years?" Hela taunted. Karnilla growled, not as easily angered as her ally, Amora, but still, annoyed.

"You are just like your father. All you do is fight with insults and banter," Karnilla spat back. Hela wagged her finger and tsked at Karnilla.

"You know. There's a reason we do that. It's called: distracting." Karnilla straightened up, and realized that she had been talking to an illusion of Hela. When she turned around, Hela plunged the Lion Heart sword into her stomach. Karnilla opened her mouth as she gripped Hela's hands. Hela pushed the sword in deeper and Karnilla gasped. "You see? The arts of trickery and deception are not inherited. My dad burned his tactics into my very soul!" Hela said before she withdrew her sword, and decapitated Karnilla with it. The Queen of Nornheim fell before Hela, and her head rolled to one side. Loki looked at it sadly, his eyes clearly telling what his mouth could not. That was when Hela looked over at Natasha, who was still battling Amora. Amora had several cuts in her costume, and trails of blood, but her injuries healed too quickly. Natasha growled with frustration. She was trying to do what Loki said, and take her head, but she did not have a weapon that could do that. "Mortal!" Hela called, and Natasha looked over at her. Hela tossed her one of Karnilla's swords. "Hope you can use it!" Hela said as she took a step back so that she was standing beside her father.

"I took fencing!" Natasha called back. Hela smirked at Natasha's sarcasm. Natasha blocked Amora's blow, but a searing pain in her side made her realize that Amora had used magic to create a blade of her own. Amora withdrew her sword, and Natasha's blood gleamed red on it.

How dare she do that! Nobody can do that! Loki hissed and Natasha had to smirk at his indignation.

"Why? You do realize that you're being possessive," Natasha pointed out. Loki snorted, and that was when Amora raised her sword again. Natasha spun around and redirected her arm, leaving Amora's chest exposed. The Enchantress realized only a second too late. Natasha's sword pierced her chest.

"Natasha!" said a voice and Black Widow turned around. Steve was standing there, his shield at the ready and a horrified expression on his face. "What have you done?!" he asked.

What was necessary, captain. Oh, Natasha? She's about to stab you in the back, Loki said nonchalantly. Natasha drew the sword out and swung it cleanly across Amora's throat. It took it a second, before it rolled off. That was when several more thumps filled the room, and the rest of the Avengers came crashing in. They looked around and saw the two corpses, and Hela and Natasha with bloody swords. Loki just looked around, his green eyes not missing a beat.

"What. Did. You. Do?!" Tony asked.

"I... I was..." Natasha stammered.

"Defending herself! Geez! Amora came at her. It was either roll over and die, or, protect herself. Chill!" Hela scolded as she walked over to Loki, and took him down from his perch.

It was a gray area, Loki remarked casually. Thor walked over instantly and when he reached Loki, he was his adult self.

"Are we finally going back to normal?" Clint asked with anticipation in his voice.

"If we get my dad out of here, then yes," Hela remarked. Thor cradled Loki, but Loki pushed him away. As Thor walked away with him, Loki looked at Natasha, his green eyes searching her blue ones. Natasha stared after him, before she looked down at her feet. When she glanced up, she saw her friends all gawking at her, and she knew what they were thinking. Murderer!