𝔘𝔫𝔰𝔭𝔬𝔨𝔢𝔫 𝔓𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔦𝔰𝔢𝔰

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : Jealous - Eyedress

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

0:59 ———|———— -2:02

𝐵𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝓌𝒽𝑜𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓌𝒶𝓃𝓉

𝐼 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝒸𝒶𝓇𝑒, 𝐼 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝒸𝒶𝓇𝑒

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

Isla made a decision as she walked away from Rafe. She couldn't keep clinging to him like she used to; not after secretly yearning for him all these years. It didn't make sense, especially when there were girls like Emma around—girls who seemed to understand Rafe's detached nature, girls who could endure the heartache of never being truly cared for by him.

Isla just wouldn't be able to forgive herself for becoming another forgotten name in his long list of fleeting connections.

What had she been thinking all this time? Rafe was like ice, unmoved by anyone or anything. His eyes mirrored that coldness perfectly. He was strong-willed and self-centred, taking whatever he pleased without a second thought for the aftermath or the feelings of the girls left behind.

Isla refused to play make-believe anymore, to entertain the foolish notion that Rafe could feel anything deeper than mere desire, even that he would never feel for her.

His compliments by the pool, his fleeting moments of kindness—she knew they were all part of his game. He could switch his charm on and off at will, a skill he used on everyone. Isla was no exception, and she reminded herself of that harsh reality as she wrapped herself in a blanket by the door, retreating to her friend Sarah's room for solace.

Closing her eyes tightly, she scolded herself for being naive. These were just dreams, and reality was much less forgiving.

Rafe was aware of her feelings, of course. And he didn't reciprocate them. He never would. To him, she was just the girl next door, a familiar presence since they were kids, nothing more than. "Get over it," she muttered to herself, mustering the strength to face the morning with renewed resolve.

Avoiding goodbyes, she left before dawn.

With the morning light streaming through the open windows, Rafe nursed his hangover with a tried-and-true cure, the bitter taste a stark reminder of why taking risks with Isla was off-limits.

As he massaged his throbbing head, memories flooded back, to the month prior when he'd been gearing up to discuss college plans with his dad, only to have his dreams shattered.

Rafe had never felt at ease in his father's study, the heavy aroma of old leather and cigars mingling with an air of disappointment. It was a stark contrast to the refreshing salty breeze that usually wafted in.

The slightly ajar office door beckoned him that morning, voices carrying through in secretive tones, pulling Rafe unwittingly into a world of hidden family truths.

Peeking through the crack, he caught sight of his father, Ward Cameron, a man whose approval seemed impossible to earn, deep in conversation with a trusted associate. Their words dripped in urgency and secrecy, swirling around his head ever since.

"The key to unlocking the treasure lies in the old maps. We must move swiftly before others catch wind of it," Ward's voice held the weight of his secrets, his eyes flashing with determination. "No one can know about this - I mean it Big John, if word gets back to the Blackwells, we're finished."