𝔄 𝔇𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔠𝔞𝔱𝔢 𝔅𝔞𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : Valentine - Laufey

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

2:00 ———|———— -3:32

𝐼'𝓋𝑒 𝓁𝑜𝓈𝓉 𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝒸𝑜𝓃𝓉𝓇𝑜𝓁 𝑜𝒻 𝓂𝓎 𝒽𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓉𝒷𝑒𝒶𝓉 𝓃𝑜𝓌

𝒢𝑜𝓉 𝒸𝒶𝓊𝑔𝒽𝓉 𝒾𝓃 𝒶 𝓇𝑜𝓂𝒶𝓃𝒸𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝒽𝒾𝓂 𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒𝒽𝑜𝓌

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

The sun had begun its slow descent towards the horizon as Isla stepped out of Max's car after another afternoon spent surfing together at the beach, their connection undeniable with shared lingering glances.

As Isla hugged Max goodbye, exchanging a few soft parting words, she didn't notice the figure watching from a distance. Rafe, his usually composed demeanor strained with conflicting emotions, observed the scene with a mix of concern and frustration.

Stepping forward as Max's car drove off, Rafe approached Isla with determined strides. His expression was unreadable as he reached her. "Isla."

Isla turned, surprised by Rafe's sudden appearance and the seriousness in his tone. "Rafe."

Rafe hesitated for a moment, his gaze flickering towards where Max's car had disappeared around a corner. "How do you know Max?" His question was direct.

Isla furrowed her brows, taken aback. "We met at the surf shop where I volunteer. Max's parents own the place."

"That's it?" Rafe pressed, his tone searching for more than just a casual acquaintance.

Isla sensed the tension. "Yeah, that's it. Why?"

Rafe's jaw clenched briefly before he continued, his voice edged with a hint of protectiveness. "You're getting too close to him, Isla."

Confusion clouded Isla's features as she took a step back, "what do you mean, too close? I'm allowed to see who I want."

"That's not the point, Isla." Rafe's frustration simmered beneath the surface as he struggled to find the right words. "You're getting too close to the Pogues."

Anger flared in her chest. "Rafe, you don't get to do this to me, you can't just show up here and act like this... I don't need you policing my relationships."

Rafe's features tightened, his own frustration mounting. "I just don't want to see you get hurt."

"And I appreciate that," Isla replied sharply, her tone cutting through the tension. "But I know what I'm doing. I can take care of myself, Rafe," Isla insisted.

Rafe's features hardened, his frustration boiling to the surface. "I know you can, Isla. But I can't just stand by and watch..."

"Watch what, Rafe?" Isla's voice rose sharply, her own emotions raw and unfiltered. "Watch me live my life?"

Rafe's gaze darkened, his own voice rising as he struggled to contain his emotions. "Because I care about you, Isla. More than I should - I just, c'mon Isla don't walk away..."

"It's always the same with you Rafe." She said shaking her head at him, she turned and headed inside, leaving him in her driveway.

Leaning against the closed door, she shut her eyes tight. He couldn't keep throwing her off balance like this. It was exhausting to pick herself up every time he appeared out of nowhere and broke down all her defences.