ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔡𝔢𝔷𝔳𝔬𝔲𝔰 𝔞𝔱 𝔗𝔥𝔢 ℭ𝔬𝔲𝔫𝔱𝔯𝔶 ℭ𝔩𝔲𝔟

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : Diet Mountain Dew - Lana Del Rey

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

0:30 ———|———— -3:42

𝒟𝑜 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝓀 𝓌𝑒'𝓁𝓁 𝒷𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇?

𝒟𝑜 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝓀 𝓌𝑒'𝓁𝓁 𝒷𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒?

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

On the afternoon of their drive back home, Rafe took a second to slip a note into the lining of his denim and sheepskin jacket whilst Isla threw her bags into the back. Leaning against the side of his Ford, he wrapped his arm around her neck bringing her lips to his. Not sure when they'd be able to do so again.

"You sure you can't stay?" He groaned, his forehead resting against hers. 

"My parents will be back first thing in the morning," she said regretful of having wasted so much of her Summer freedom being angry at him. 

Rafe pulled away, opening the door for her, "we'll come back." He grinned from the drivers seat, as she locked her hands into his on top of the gear shift. 

They spent the rest of the ride with Isla singing her little heart out to the radio, Rafe gently turning it down to hear his baby. Cruising slowly, savouring every moment they spent in the dark still safe in their secret love affair. 

Pulling up, he walked her to her door, with his jacket sleeves too long on her, covering her knuckles. "Thank you." She whispered, kissing him preciously. 

Searching her eyes, he fought back his thoughts. Promising himself, he'd only tell her once he could protect her from his father. 

"I'll see you soon." He promised. Cradling her face in his hands, watching her crinkle her freckled nose up at him slightly. "Okay." She nodded.

Closing her eyes back in her own bed, she pulled his jacket on over her pyjama's the emptiness beside her like cold air, she heard his car pull out of her driveway, brushing her lips with his her thumb where his had just touched her, the gravel crunching underneath his tires. Just like that, they were back in reality. But as he fell back onto his bed, he stretched out his arms behind his head, smirking slightly to himself. 

At the first light of dawn, Isla heard a sudden stumble of footsteps. Her parents had inevitably returned, and their coldness filled every crevice of the house. Like a frost coating her room, throwing her covers over her head she turned from the door. Her back tightening in anxiety until she heard their snores in the bedroom next door. 

Sneaking out in her running clothes, she ran through her neighbourhood, knowing that was what her parents would expect of her. The houses now looked suffocating, rows of identical homes standing sadly over earth she knew belonged to the wild, how could they all live like this when now she knew that life was meant to be adrenaline?

She felt something rise in the burn of her legs up to her soul as she realised after that week at the cabin with Rafe, everything had changed for her. Now, she knew who she was and now she had to hide it. Keep her true identity safe and locked away into a crack between her ribs. 

Tightening her ponytail she decided, one of these days she'd be running out of this town and she'd never come back. 

But for now, she'd put on the best performance this place had ever seen. She'd do it all, better than anyone else and she'd get out. She'd be free, she'd be with him. In the kitchen, her mother was stood juicing celery, her father sat with coffee and a newspaper by the pool.