~ Chapter 8 ~

Jisung

It had been a pretty normal morning to begin with. Shower, breakfast, doing my favourite daily word game. After all that, I started thinking about Felix, and I wondered how he was doing.

It had been a week since I'd visited him at his apartment, and I hadn't seen him since (well, except for that brief video call the other day). I was curious to know how things were progressing with that waiter at the dog café. Maybe I should ask him to have lunch with me, so he could fill me in on all the deets.

I unlocked my phone and clicked on Felix's contact to send him a message.

Sunshine Lix 🌞

Hey Lix!

I waited a few minutes, but I didn't get a reply. That worried me a bit, because since my visit, he'd answered my texts and calls every time. I guess he was trying to make up for 3 months' worth of ghosting.

Lix?

Are you there?

Is everything ok?

LEE FELIX GODDAMMIT ANSWER MY GODDAMN MESSAGES!

YOU. PROMISED.

Ok, you leave me no choice.

If you don't reply in the next minute, imma call you.

And so I waited, feeling more and more jittery and panicked as the seconds ticked by.

Exactly 60 seconds later (I'd been watching the second-hand on my clock like a hawk), I pressed the call button. I listened to the dial tone, pacing back and forth in my bedroom, my mind coming up with all sorts of terrifying scenarios.

"Come on, Lix, where are you? Why aren't you answering your phone? You better have just gone out and left your phone at home, or I swear..." I didn't know what I swore, I just really hoped he was okay.

Eventually the dial tone stopped, and there was silence. Too much silence. My nerves had been stretched almost to breaking point while I was waiting for Felix to pick up, and now they suddenly snapped. I threw my phone on my bed and let out an anguished yell. Having got that out of my system, I quickly grabbed my phone again and headed out the door, determined to get to Felix's place in record time.

It usually took me about 15 minutes to walk from my apartment to Felix's, but this time I was running, and I did it in 5 minutes flat. When I got there, I stood at his door for half a minute, leaning on the wall and gasping for breath; but soon I was knocking frantically and putting my ear on the wood to see if I could hear anything.

I was feeling quite desperate at this point, so, as I'd got no answer to my knocking, I banged on the door with my fist. I figured, even if he was asleep, he'd hear that.

A minute later, though, there was still nothing. Worry coursing through my body, I put my mouth next to the door, my hands cupped around it.

"FELIX??"

This time, I heard a long-drawn-out groan. My eyes widened, and I put my ear to the door once more.

"Go away and let me die in peace!"

My eyebrows shot through the roof, but then I let out a short laugh out of sheer relief. I didn't think I could be so happy just hearing my friend's voice.

He hadn't sounded too good, though. There was definitely something wrong. So I quickly got the spare key from its hiding place behind the "No Junk Mail" sign and opened the door.

Closing the door behind me, I scanned the room. No sign of Felix here in the loungeroom, or in the nearby kitchen, either. I saw another door further in and immediately made my way to it, remembering that that was Felix's bedroom.