𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗 - 𝐂𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐫

Hearing Sebastian Sallow's voice irritated me as if I had come into contact with a nettle plant, only all over my body; six years before, if someone had told me that just perceiving his presence would have felt so annoying, so obnoxious, I would not have believed it. But again, I wouldn't have believed anything that went down with him. I would have bet on anything that everything that we'd been through together would bind us forever, that he would never turn his back on me, or at least that he could never do it to Ominis.

I would have never doubted that we would spend the last few years together, graduate together, probably become Aurors together; that we would always be in each other's lives. But these were nothing more than the fantasies of a stupid sixteen-year-old girl, a little Muggle-born who for the first time had known friendship, understanding, after a life as an outsider, different somehow than anyone else. And, as a matter of fact, nothing had gone according to plan.

His words still sounded like those of an immature fifth-year boy, making jokes for no reason. Also, did I feel jealousy in his words? That would have been fun. Sebastian Sallow, jealous of Garreth Weasley. Of me. However, I decided to completely ignore his words, allowing him to simmer in his uncertainty and curiosity. For all he knew, Garreth could actually be my boyfriend; and, if he was questioning wether he was, I would let him believe it.

"Get out."

I didn't even bother to turn towards him; instead, I continued to arrange the books as if nothing had happened. I wasn't in the mood for stupid bickering, or getting more nervous than I already was. It just wasn't worth it.

"I'm working. Get out."

For a moment, there was silence. Behind me, it was like I could feel Sebastian's frustrated face, and the thought of it gave me a thrill of victory.

"I'd like to talk, if that's okay with you," he said, having cleared his throat, in a tone that was both firm and uncertain. A paradox, just like him.

"I'll think about it," I commented, continuing with my chores, continuing to avoid her gaze. "I will send you an owl, if I decide to see you of course".

"You do realise that would be quite unusual in Muggle London, right?"

"You forget you're talking about the world I come from, and I think I know him better than you do. Anyway, I'm not stupid," I answered dryly, finally turning to him. His stunned expression quickly became an embarrassment, but I didn't give him time to object with yet another sentence that would have wasted my time. "I'll send it to you at night. You can go now".

Sebastian did not move an inch, his lips half closed, obviously undecided whether to say something or not.

"You can go, Sallow".

I turned one last time to the shelves, and I felt his presence walking away from me. If I could just pat myself on the back without sounding ridiculous, I definitely would have. Once I heard the doorbell ringing, indicating his departure, I went to the back of the shop, where we kept the owls to communicate for work purposes; they will understand, I thought, it's an emergency. I quickly enchanted two feathers, making them write two identical notes, and entrusted them to two owls who flew away quickly.

┈┈┈┈┈❀┈┈┈┈┈

Emergency meeting just the three of us. Don't tell anyone else, I'll explain. You know when and where. See you later.

L.H.

┈┈┈┈┈❀┈┈┈┈┈