𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 - 𝐏𝐮𝐫𝐞

The silence had prevailed in the room for a while: Ominis was sitting on the leather armchair, his chin rested on his fist, his face facing the wall; Natty leaned her shoulder on the door frame, her arms folded, her cynical gaze turned to Sebastian, who was standing next to me.

"Look, it's the only solution that seems logical to me. My grandmother was quite clear, it's not a journey that I can take alone."

"And why should it be him?" Natty growled, with an exasperated voice. Her frowning look now turned to me.

"Natsai, please be logical. I beg of you. Both you and Ominis work for the Ministry now, you are controlled. I can't involve you in something like this", I just answered, as if we hadn't already gone through the same speech over and over again. Honestly, I was wondering if Natty was worried or just jealous.

"All right, I do understand that, but him? You could ask Imelda, or Everett."

"Or Garreth", Ominis commented with a half grin, trying to squeeze his lips to contain or conceal it. Although I was more than aware that he could not see me, I gave him a glacial look; as always, he seemed to perceive it or at least foresee it, since he raised his hands in the air as if to say "what have I done?". I noticed that Sebastian was looking at me, an eyebrow raised, but I just pretended I did not notice.

"Imelda is swamped with training, and Everett teaches at bloody Hogwarts; he can't be absent without some proper justification", I replied, sighing. "And Garreth... You know how he is. He would tell me that I already have my answers, that it's not worth it. I don't need someone to lecture me."

"And would he be so wrong about it?" she replied, walking away from the door and approaching me. I didn't like her expression at all, and frankly I didn't want to argue with her or anyone else on this matter any longer.

"Think about it, Elizabeth. You don't even know if your aunt is alive. You don't know the implications of this... search. And, as far as I'm concerned, you should steer clear of that wand; there's a reason its existence has been erased from history books. Ominis...?"

The fact that she sought Ominis's support annoyed me even more; he merely sighed, and tightened his jaw.

"I don't think it's a good idea, that's all."

"Natty, I understand what you're trying to say, but it's my life you're talking about. I've felt wrong all my life, incomplete. This is my chance to see if this", I said, raising my hands and showing off the little blue lightnings of ancient magic coming out of my fingers, "makes sense. To see if I have a purpose. I mean, look at me," I commented, raising my voice while uttering the last sentence.

"I'm a mess. I'm the only one who hasn't found her way yet. I am dissatisfied and full of doubts, and until a few weeks ago every day blended with the others. I was going on by inertia. You have no idea what that means."

My voice started to break while I could feel my cheeks reddening, and I noticed Natty's expression getting pitiful, as if she felt sorry for me; I couldn't even look at Sebastian, knowing that he probably had the same look printed on his face, and I couldn't bear it. Not from him.

I was tired of being given the pity treatment by people: for my childhood, for the sudden and dramatic way I had entered Hogwarts so late compared to the others, for Ranrok, for Fig's death. I was tired of being seen as the girl with broken dreams, a wretched life and an uncertain future.

"I have an option in front of me now. I finally have a chance to figure out who I am, why I was born this way. To see if my life makes sense."

Ominis, without saying a word, got up from the armchair, and positioned himself between me and Sebastian.