𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞 - 𝐖𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐌𝐚𝐧𝐨𝐫

The train window was lined with tiny raindrops, running along the surface as if they were racing, just like that day six years earlier. I still remembered the words of Professor Fig during that trip: "There is a huge world to discover before you, Elizabeth. I will help you." If he only knew the price he would have paid for helping me, would he have done it anyway?

I lightly shook my head, as if to take that thought away from my mind, and took off my gaze from the window, looking ahead instead. Sebastian Sallow was looking out, his gaze distracted, a disjointed curl falling between his eyebrows.

He didn't seem to notice my gaze on him, so I allowed myself an extra moment: the profile of his jaw was much more defined than I remembered, and his adolescent face was just a distant memory. His eyes, still lively and curious, observed the contours of the trees, while the freckles that covered his face seemed to dance with the movements of the train. His shoulders and arms were now much more powerful and defined, a symptom of his constant lifting of weights, and he was decidedly taller, almost as much as Ominis.

My eyes lingered on his hands, now perfectly clean, and on a reddish brown checkered ribbon that was tied to his wrist. I immediately recognized the fabric of it: Anne's scarf.

"A Knut for your thoughts?"

His voice fortunately interrupted my thinking, and I moved my gaze quickly. I felt my cheeks catching fire, and I guess he noticed it, given the grin that formed on his lips.

"Rules must be established" I commented in a resolute tone, trying to divert attention from the fact that he had caught me in the act of observing him. I laid my eyes on his, and I automatically straightened my back as if to show decision and authority.

"First of all, I'll do the talking. You can only speak when asked, and you better not say anything stupid or compromising, especially in front of my mother. Second of all, remember the plan: you came to introduce yourself and ask for her engagement ring. She will let you into some room, you two alone, and you will ask her about her sisters. I will try and keep my mother distracted."

"All right, future wifey," he replied with that arrogant voice I detested, closing his eyes with contented air and stretching his body, particularly pulling his arm muscles.

Arrogant piece of shit. He did see me.

"Don't take too much advantage of the situation, future husband, if you don't want to find my wand stuck in unwanted places," I hissed, my eyes narrowed in two slits.

"All right, all right, you're so dramatic," he answered quickly, rolling his eyes in annoyance.

How the hell did I let myself be convinced to do something like this, that really escaped me.

Once out of the train, Sebastian got out before me and hurried to open an umbrella, to shelter me from the rain once I crossed the exit. The extreme kindness of his gesture, in addition to the smile printed on his face, made me raise an eyebrow.

"Really?" I commented, in a dry tone.

"You're welcome, miss," he replied, mockingly. "Grab my arm, come on".

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked, stunned. Grab his arm? As if the little space under the umbrella was not tight enough.

Sebastian came even closer to me, so that I could almost feel the touch of his lips on my ear. " Elizabeth," he whispered, and I could swear that he had the greatest of grins printed on his face, "Didn't you say that this story must be believable?"

Hateful, irritating viper of a man.

How could I fake a supposed relationship with such an annoying, arrogant, unbearable being like him?