𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫 - 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬

𝑶𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒊𝒔 𝑷𝑶𝑽

I knew I couldn't trust my family, I had always known it; a part of me was not even surprised when Sebastian told me that my brother — or, presumably, both of my brothers — had kidnapped Elizabeth. I wasn't even surprised that they knew about the Gifts of Death — which is what we would then call them by then: if they knew about the wand, they must have known about the ring too.

Had they let me take it voluntarily, so that Elizabeth would find out? So that we would make it easier for them to get the damn wand?

I was not at all surprised that they had not made me aware of its gifts, especially given the career I had chosen to pursue. I wasn't even surprised that they were probably spying on me: I was sure that, from the moment I had told them that I had been chosen for the Auror Programme, they thought that I wanted to somehow frame them.

I also knew that, if they had not taken me out of the way yet, it was only because I was now under the Ministry's protection, and that surely sooner or later the blame would fall on them.

I will not hide, however, that I had always, always had the slightest hope that things could be different. That they could change, just as my Aunt Noctua had wanted; yet, her hope had been her death penalty, and I could not let it happen to me; I would not allow it.

What really changed in me, the moment I discovered that they had kidnapped Elizabeth, was that I finally understood what I had not yet let myself accept: that my family was beyond any hope of redemption.

I would have acted accordingly.

When I took Sebastian's shoulder and disapparated us, I knew I would do anything to bring her home, to make sure that none of this would happen again.

"This isn't Gaunt Manor", Sebastian's voice woke me from my thoughts.

"No, it is not", I limited myself to commenting, gritting my teeth, "we are in my flat."

"Your flat? Why?"

I didn't answer; it was not necessary. I had only one goal before heading to my father's.

"Sebastian, listen to me carefully. I think they might have placed something in my house, or on me, that is able to spy on me, to report what I say and what I hear to them. I'll use a spell I learned in the Auror Programme, an advanced spell that reveals artefacts that have been imbued with dark magic, but I do need your help."

Sebastian didn't answer for a moment, then murmured "Alright. What should I do?"

"If the spell reveals a cursed object, it will glow with green flames. If something does, you must point it out to me."

Sebastian simply released a slight "mh" of consent; I inhaled deeply, before pointing the wand at every area of the house.

"Maleficium revelio", I murmured to the living room, and as I did not receive any feedback from Sebastian I proceeded with the rest of the house. Bedroom, kitchen, restroom; everything was quiet. At least until I opened my closet.

"Ominis, there we go. Your jacket is glowing."

My jacket? How many times, over the months, years, had I worn it? Especially when I went to the Ministry? How could I not notice that?

"One of the buttons is inflamed. This is it. It's the artefact."

I knew that both Portius and Flavius were powerful wizards, definitely outside the norm, but I considered myself one too; yet, for who knows how long, I had given them free access to my life, to those of the people around me. To Natty's life, to Elizabeth's.