Chapter Eight

Hours passed by and the Croods were traveling across a desert. The sun was blazing above them, making it hot as they walked. Sandy, the crazy little baby, jumped on her broters back. She bit him on the head, hard. "Aaaugh. Get off. Het her off." Thunk screamed as he struggled to throw her off of him. 

Ugga, momma Crood, rolled her eyes at her children's behavior. "If you're not ready to challenge her, then don't look her in the eye." SHe grabbed her daughter and pulled her from him. 

Gran turned around and hit Sandy with her can. "Could you keep your big giant arms on your side of the trail!" Sandy snarled and attacked Gran. Ugga just shrugged and crossed her arms, watching the duo fight each other. 

Ahead of them, not too far but not too close, Grug carried the log Guy was stuck in. Eep and Ila were following behind. Ila stayed close to Guy, keeping silent as they walked. 

"Isn't this fun?" Eep asked as she nudged Ila's arm. "This is yours and guys first trip together." She teased, trying to get a reaction from the girl. But she failed. Ila just ignored her as they walked. Gran bumped into Eep, causing her to stumble and bump into Ila. "hey, watch it before I pull your tongue out." she snarled at her grandmother. 

Ila accidentally smacked her head against Guy's from the impact. "Oh, I-I'm sorry." she mumbled, rubbing her head from the pain. Guy groaned in pain. She did have a hard head. 

"Do you want me to turn this family around? Do you? Because I will turn this family around so fast!" Grug warned angrily, glancing behind him. 

"Dadddddd, I gotts go!" Thunk said as he bounced after his dad. 

"Come on, you can hold it!"

"I don't think so. Thunk moaned. "I gotta go really bad." He started to hop with his knees glued together. 

Grug groaned as he glanced around, spotting a lumpy thing. "Just go behind that lumpy thing and make it fast." He told his son who bounced his way over to it. He did his business before catching back up with his family. 

Ila glanced over at Guy. "Grug? Can I carry him?" she asked hopefully. 

"No." Grug said bluntly as he tightened his grip on the log. Ila sighed as she glanced around their surroundings. She noticed all the animals running away from how loud the Croods were being. Even though they were just animals, she still felt embarrassed. Why did she have to be stuck with them?

The whole family were growing tired fro the long walking. All breathing hard, they begged Grug for them to take a break. "I'm not dying on an empty stomach." Gran groaned, clutching her stomach. 

"Grug, we're all pretty tired." Ugga yelled, annoyed. 

"We'll eat when we get there!" Grug firmly stated. He was exhausted as well but he wanted to find a cave first. He wanted his family safe in one. 

"It's taking too long. I'm grabbing a snack." Gran jumped up on the log and tried to grab Belt. Belt pulled out a shark bone knife and defended himself. 

Guys eyes widened, hearing Gran. "No. No. No. Don't do that. He will cut yoy. That's not food. He's a pet. My pet."

"What's a pet?" Gran asked, looking at guy quizzically. 

"An animal you don't eat." Guy replied hoping she would leave Belt alone.

"We call those children." Gran laughed.

Ila rolled her eyes, holding her arm out to Belt. "Come here. They won't hurt you if you're with me." Belt, hesitating, jumped onto Ila's arm and climbed to her waist. He wrapped himself around her like a belt. Obviously, Belt approves.