Chapter 14: Memories

The sound of people chatting and cars cruising around can be heard muffled close by. Y/N is laid out on some flat dirty cardboard boxes in a damp alley, barely able to sit up. Y/N rubs the sleep from their eyes. Looking around, they notice their brother was gone, suddenly frantic they try to call out his name only for nothing to be heard. They clench their throat and cough dryly, coming around the alley corner from the busy street, appears a smallish looking boy with cracked lens glasses holding a bottle of water and a dingy rag, it was their brother, Theodore! "Hey, you're finally awake!" He calls out, he skips happily over and pours a little of the water onto the rag and starts cleaning Y/N's face gently. Y/N tries again to speak, but all that came out was a dry grunt, "whoa wait don't speak it's ok." Y/N rubs their forehead confused. Why were they here again? What was happening? "Hey, it's okay. I was able to get you some water." Theodore hands Y/N the bottle. They drink it quickly, leaving a few good sips behind and handing back to their brother. Y/N signs, 'You need to drink some too.' Theodore gives a weak smile, "I drank some already you finish it." Y/N glares at the boy looking him up and down, from the cracks in his lips to the bruising on his legs and scrapes on his knees. Clearly, this boy was malnourished. Y/N shakes their head and forces the bottle back into his hands and gestures for him to drink. Defeated Theodore sighs and finishes the water, Y/N smiles and strokes his head softly. For a moment, everything was peaceful, Theodore's face sank staring behind Y/N, a shadow covers them both. Curious and concerned, Y/N slowly turns around, towering over them, which was none other than Derrick. "Found you!" His voice was deep and gurling, unlike how they've ever heard him speak before almost demonic. Aloud blaring alarm shakes Y/N to their core, quickly they reach out for Theodore only to find he is gone! Turning back around, Derrick jumps at Y/N, and they scream.

Back inside the hospital wing of Derricks grandfathers' estate, Y/N is sitting up on a medical bed sweating and panting rapidly. Their hand is clenched tightly to their chest, and a monitor alarm is beeping wildly. An older nurse runs in with a bucket of water and a clean washcloth, when suddenly she stops in her tracks, seeing Y/N sitting up. "Oh! You're finally awake, dear! My you've been out cold for so long; I was worried you wouldn't come to." That's right, Y/N was kidnapped, her friends possibly injured or worse. Y/N groans as they hold their head with one hand. They swing their feet over the side of the bed. "Please don't rush yourself, love! You've only just awoken, here let me assist you." The old nurse offered out her arm to help stabilize Y/N as they try to stand on their feet. They were shaky at first but were able to stand on their own. They took a small step forward, then another, again, they shook at the knees but quickly recovered. Y/N went to thank the nurse, but only a dry gasp escaped from their throat. The nurse handed Y/N a glass of water. They gingerly drank it. It was like cool aloe on a fresh sunburn. The relief was intense yet blissful. From an intercom next to the door, a man's voice can be heard through the static, "Report." Making sure Y/N was okay, the nurse quickly rushed the the com and pressed a button silencing the radio static, "Patient is conscious and active, Sir." A few moments go by, and there is no response. The nurse looked anxious, which in turn caused Y/N to go on high alert. The room door slides open with a loud swish, standing there was Bruce, Derricks grandfather. He wore a stern glare, but when his eyes met with Y/N's, they softened. "How do you feel young one?" He asked in a most gentle tone, like that of a loving grandparent. This made Y/N confused. Did he still care for them even after all this time?

The nurse with her head bowed replies nervously, "T-The patient can not speak as of yet, a p-possible side effect of the accident. Sir." Bruce sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose annoyed. To Y/Ns surprise, he began to sign to them; 'I am no great, but learn slow.' Y/N tilted their head and slowly signed back to see if he understood. 'You learned?' With a warm smile, Bruce nodded, Y/N signed again; 'You can speak so you don't have to struggle with ASL, that is if you can understand me.' Bruce's smile widened. "Splendid, I am not very well educated in the matter just yet, but I learned so I can communicate with you and your brother." 'But why? I thought you disliked us, me especially after I didn't warn you of the ambush.' Y/Ns shoulders sank as guilt started to build in their chest. Bruce crossed his arms and looked off to the side, "Indeed, that was quite the set back in some major plans for a few of my high end clients, but you two are dear to me. The grandkids I wish I had." Y/N perked up a little, intrigued they tilted their head to one side, seeing this Bruce chuckled gently. "As you are, sadly, very well aware of my grandson Derrick." Just hearing his name set chills up Y/Ns back, their body stiffened as they listened to the rest of what Bruce was saying. "He has always been a bad egg, his folks, before they passed, thought maybe I could toughen him up and get it out of his system." Sighing, once again pinch the bridge of his nose continues on. "Although it would seem I have only made it worse given his power standing in the crew." Just then deafening alarms blare out, a voice over the intercoms static shouts through. "Sir! We are under attack!" Bruce rushs to the com, "Status?" The voice returns, "Yokai! Ones we've never seen! Four of them and a human girl!" Y/N through dread dry pain screeched out, "Friends!"

(Hey! Vyn here, Please vote ⭐️ if you enjoyed this chapter, and don't forget to comment your thoughts/opinions down below! I'd love to hear from you, the reader! Ooohh!!! What's going to happen? Where is Derrick!?!?)