nine. i can't believe you masterminded me

"if you were wondering, i thought the show got kind of boring after nini left." xolo started the conversation as maeve climbed into the passenger seat of his car.

          "no you didn't," maeve responded instantly, though her eyebrows quirked upwards. "you were team rina. i can already tell."

          "maybe," the man shrugged. "only because nini deserved to go on and follow her dreams."

maeve paused for a moment, turning up the gentle taylor swift and tucking her converse underneath her legs on the chair.

          "you didn't strike me for the type of guy that likes musicals."

          "high school musical was my shit back in the day. gabriella montez was an inspiration to latinx people everywhere."

sipping from her coffee cup, the girl muffled a laugh. over the past month or so that xolo had been giving her lifts to work, he'd basked in every time he'd managed to make her laugh.

there was no denying that the tension between the two of them had eased. it was more playful and full of banter, rather than bitter contempt— at least, xolo assumed so. he was never entirely sure how maeve felt about him, and to be truthful, he could hardly guess, but it seemed to be okay. 

things hadn't even changed much when lacy started filming with them. whilst not being a protagonist, she had the biggest role aside from xolo and maeve, and for a while, xolo found himself praying for the day lacy would start. since getting to know maeve, however, his only fear was that something would change within the friendship (friendship was a strong word) that was forming.

for the most part, nothing did. he still drove maeve to work each morning when they had the same call time, and even the occasional time that they didn't. she continued making little comments; funny little digs directly to him, but comments of praise and appreciation about his work to the rest of the crew.

lacy spoke to him more than maeve did, though, which he didn't mind. the girl was very friendly, and took an interest in xolo's work and his life, and maybe maeve was right— he did like to talk about himself.

the rest of filming went by incredibly fast, and soon enough it was the final day. honestly, xolo was a little emotional. this wasn't like cobra kai where he'd get to come back next year for another season. and adrianna was a director famously against sequels, especially when they were unnecessary. but the thought of never seeing maeve again, even if she was unreasonably mean to him, didn't seem right.

          "well then, angel." maeve's voice brought him from his thoughts as she rounded the corner into his makeup tent. "final scene, how are we feeling?"

          "not sure, actually." xolo ran a hand through his curls.

          "well, i, for one, am thrilled."

          "of course you are."

          "you're not even my favourite person to antagonise, i hope you know that."

          "well, i guess i'll need to find someone else to keep my ego in check."

maeve smiled warmly— an adjective xolo would never think to use for her— and neatened the way her shirt was tucked into her jeans. she then did something that surprised xolo. taking a couple of steps towards his chair, she lifted her hand and tucked his curls behind his ear.

he glanced up at her, wide eyed, and then ducked his head down when he felt his cheeks grow pink.

          "you know," his voice broke a little. "you're not half bad, tanner."