eighteen. at least you're self aware

maeve was sat in pyjamas, with her guitar laid across her lap, when xolo knocked on her apartment door. she wasn't expecting anyone, and opened the door, quickly masking her confusion with feigned annoyance.

          "oh, it's you. what do you want?"

          "can i come in?" xolo didn't react to her snark comment, instead bobbing up and down gently with what appeared to be nerves.

          "sure," maeve shrugged, swinging the door open. "i was just working on something, but it can wait."

xolo clocked the guitar on her bed, eyes widening.

          "can i hear what you were working on?"

          "do you wanna tell me why you came here looking so antsy, first?" maeve raised an eyebrow as the boy shook his head.

          "it can wait."

considerably confused, maeve agreed, picking up the guitar and letting her fingers dance along the frets as she found the right chords. xolo remained stood, watching her intently. blushing a little under his gaze, she averted her eyes as she started to sing.

          "ooh, i care, i care, i care/like ribbons in your hair/my stomach's all in knots/you got the one thing that i want/ooh, i try, i try, i try/try to rationalise/ people are people but/it's like you're made of angel dust."

regaining his composure a little, xolo glanced over at the notebook open on maeve's bed, with the lyrics she'd just sung sprawled under the title lacy.

          "i didn't take you for the jealous type."

          "i'm not." maeve rested her guitar against the edge of the bed. "i don't really know what it's about, i was just feeling inspired, i guess." the blush on her cheeks that xolo was only just now noticing said differently.

          "as delightful as your company is, xolo, which is not at all, why are you here?"

a grin broke out on his face as he looked down at the girl he liked so much, who was so mean to him in the most affectionate way, who always knew how to put him in his place, but was at the same time his biggest supporter.

          "so, apparently it's obvious that i'm in love with you."

          "what?"

          "okay, so i guess not that obvious." xolo blushed something fierce, using his fist to cover his mouth as he grinned. "or, it was to everyone else, but clearly not to you."

          "what about lacy?" maeve asked, scratching the side of her jaw.

          "it was also obvious to her. that wasn't the greatest conversation i've ever had, but it wasn't awful."

          "so," maeve pursed her lips. "what are you saying, maridueña?"

          "i'm saying that i'm an idiot for not realising that you had feelings for me after we hooked up."

eyebrows cocked, maeve stood up to face him, and the six inches between them didn't change how intimidating she was, even now.

          "that's rather presumptuous of you, don't you think?"

          "maeve." xolo's lips twisted into a grin as he watched the girl's nonchalance, stepping closer to her slowly. "are you going to kiss me, or am i going to have to be the arrogant, cocksure dickhead again and do it myself?"

          "at least you're self aware," maeve said before kissing him finally.

☆☆☆