twenty two. i wanted my career just to be nepo brother

OLLIE (MAEVE'S BROTHER)

xolo
maeve says we're meeting you today
is that true

THE REAL MIGUEL DIAZ
that is true!
she says we're coming to babysit

OLLIE (MAEVE'S BROTHER)
you are NOT coming to babysit
i am fourteen fucking years old

THE REAL MIGUEL DIAZ
you're a mouthy fourteen year old

OLLIE (MAEVE'S BROTHER)
i get it from maeve :)

THE REAL MIGUEL DIAZ
trust me i know that

OLLIE (MAEVE'S BROTHER)
anyway you're not babysitting
alex will be here and he's basically
an adult

THE REAL MIGUEL DIAZ
when have your parents ever let
alex babysit you

OLLIE (MAEVE'S BROTHER)
maeve and alex's dad did once

THE REAL MIGUEL DIAZ
and how did that end

OLLIE (MAEVE'S BROTHER)
maeve was right you're annoying

THE REAL MIGUEL DIAZ
do you want me to tell her she was
right?

OLLIE (MAEVE'S BROTHER)
no
don't do that
ever
never ever

THE REAL MIGUEL DIAZ
message received

OLLIE (MAEVE'S BROTHER)
okay so what time are you getting
here

THE REAL MIGUEL DIAZ
in twenty minutes
maeve is driving

OLLIE (MAEVE'S BROTHER)
you're letting maeve drive your car?
you psycho

THE REAL MIGUEL DIAZ
i already know it was you who
crashed maeve's car
i'm sure she's a fine driver

OLLIE (MAEVE'S BROTHER)
i may have been a little responsible
for totalling it
well really it's alex's fault
but that doesn't make her a good
driver

THE REAL MIGUEL DIAZ
uhm
do i need to be worried

OLLIE (MAEVE'S BROTHER)
you'll be fine
unless you ask her to park
like at all
in any way

THE REAL MIGUEL DIAZ
oh god

☆☆☆

xolo was definitely a little on edge watching maeve try to park his car, but the glare she gave him when he tried to backseat drive was far scarier, so he chose to stay quiet.

he wasn't sure what he'd pictured when he'd imagined maeve's childhood home, but the house met a lot of expectation. it was big and fairly fancy in a modern way, adorned with baby photos xolo knew he had to acquire for blackmail reasons, even though he knew his girlfriend would kill him.

alex and ollie were sitting in the living room, seemingly waiting for the two of them to arrive. having spoken to ollie a fair few times, he was well acquainted with the kid, but what really struck xolo off guard was how much alex and maeve looked alike.

they both shared the same dark hair and dark eyes, the same quiet smile, and the same warm tan of their skin. ollie, on the other hand, was the clear wild card, with a mop of blonde curls and bright blue eyes.

          "uh, hey," xolo smiled smally, catching the boys' attention as maeve ruffled alex's hair, knocking out one of his airpods so that he noticed the two. "nice to officially meet you guys."

glancing at each other, alex and ollie raised their eyebrows in unison before eyeing up xolo. maeve kicked off her shoes, moving to hang her jacket on the coat rack as xolo attempted to maintain eye contact with the pair.

          "uhm, why do i feel slightly interrogated?" he asked, maeve's face cracking into a grin as she watched the three.

          "you are being interrogated. the start of the process is silent," she clarified, wrapping her arms around one of xolo's and kissing his shoulder gently.

          "what comes after the uncomfortable silent treatment?" he asked cautiously, keeping his voice low and his eyes forward as he kicked off his shoes.

          "mario kart," maeve answered, as though that was a logical connection to make. "then they'll probably start grilling you."

releasing his arm, maeve flopped down on the couch beside alex, reaching into a leather box tucked under the coffee table and pulling out a selection of wii remotes that all looked as though they had seen better days.

          "olls, can you plug it in at the back of the tv?"

          "why can't you get xolo to do it?" the teenager quipped back. at the mention of his name, xolo shook himself out of his daze and sat down cautiously on the other end of the couch from ollie.

          "because xolo is a guest," maeve countered.

          "well then, why can't you get alex to do it?"

          "fuck off," alex huffed, earning a punch to the leg from his sister.

          "okay then, maevey, why can't you do it?"

          "get on with it or i'll kick your ass," she threatened, winking at xolo with a grin as ollie got up, grumbling, and made sure the wii was plugged in.

          "you want a drink or anything?" she asked xolo, who shook his head.

          "nah, i'm okay, thank you."

          "sorry, we're not exactly very hospitable. well, alex is, supposedly. he just got a part time job at a local cafe as a waiter."

          "it's awful," alex groaned, throwing his head back over the couch, and xolo laughed. "i don't know why i even work there. i wanted my career just to be nepo brother."

          "a strong career path," xolo nodded with a laugh, taking the remote ollie handed him gratefully. "i'm assuming you can't sing like maeve can, then?"

          "it's hard enough to get alex to speak, let alone sing," maeve elbowed him playfully, and xolo's heart warmed as it sunk in that he was here, in maeve's home, where she was most comfortable, and he was getting to see her like this.

          "me, however," ollie joked, standing upon the couch as though he was going to give the performance of his life, and only getting down when alex threw a pillow square at his face.