Chapter 11 呪 A Cursed Declaration

"Good, you're conscious," said an unfamiliar feminine voice. I turned my head to see a stern-looking girl around my age sitting vigilantly beside my bed. Her sharp eyes and serious demeanor gave off strong "Disapproving Doctor" vibes.

I tried sitting up too quickly, provoking her swift admonishment. "Don't injure yourself further, please."

Right. The USJ. After blinking back fuzzy memories, my first concern was for my classmates.

"Did everyone make it out alright?"

The girl nodded. "Yes, beyond some minor injuries. Although that messy-haired boy did require some treatment before his discharge earlier today."

I breathed deep in relief. Good.

"Now, onto you." The girl levelled an intense stare my direction. "Are you aware exactly how your Quirk nearly destroyed your body today?"

I looked at her weakly. "Nothing a bandaid can't fix?"

She remained stoic. "I don't know what you did, but your nervous system endured catastrophic damage twice over. Were you somehow disconnected from your physical form? I understand you have a summoning-based Quirk..."

"Ah, yes. Well, I did summon one particular creature that wrecked me pretty badly. But someone healed me up afterwards, so I tried again anyway." I said casually.

Incredulous anger flashed across the girl's face. "You barely survived this ability, yet used it again immediately?"

"I mean it was three times, the second try didn't work. But point taken." I looked at the roof sheepishly under her fiery glare. Probably not wise to antagonise my apparent doctor/warden.

Finally she sighed, massaging her temples. "For your own health, refrain from ever attempting that again. Or you may face permanent damage."

As she moved to exit, she left a final warning. "You should be discharged by day's end. Just take it very easy."

Alone with my aches and thoughts, I pondered her advice. Perhaps I should be more cautious with my risky trump card. But in a pinch, could I resist using every power in my arsenal to save lives? Maybe I could find a less destructive alternative...

For now though, I settled back onto the pillows with a wince.

The excited chatter filling Class 1-A reflected the animated energy in the room. My classmates swapped stories of our harrowing experiences at USJ, some more embellished than others.

"A rhino villain? That's intense!" Kirishima said. "Hard to believe you and Tokoyami took him down."

"You know it!" Kaminari pumped his fist. "I socked that guy good!"

"That's awesome, you guys," Hagakure piped up. Though with her bodiless gloves, it was hard to see where her voice emanated from. "Did anyone catch me on the news last night? I know I was probably invisible in the background as usual." She sighed dejectedly.

"More than likely not seen, I'm afraid," Shoji bluntly confirmed.

"It's not easy getting noticed when you're a pair of floating gloves," Ojiro added, eliciting another sigh from our invisible classmate.

I'm sure you will get the moment in the spotlight, Invisible Girl. Or I guess in this case just regular light should suffice no?

The conversation dissolved into an ego-stroking session for those desperate for attention. Namely Kaminari and Kirishima singing their own praises after the media coverage.