Chapter 12 呪 A Cursed Obstacle Course

The moment the final green light illuminated, we all rushed forward like mindless cattle to a slaughter. Jamming ourselves through the narrow doorway, bodies pressed together, squished and contorted. A foolish mistake that cost us precious time. Clearly this entrance acted as the first obstacle, forcing us to strategize if we hoped to proceed.

"How troublesome," I muttered, massaging my temple as I observed the chaotic scene unfolding. While the other students wrestled against each other, I calmly prepared a summoning. With a hand sign, a glowing rift materialised before me, suspended in the air like an ethereal stepping stone. Allowing me to casually stride over the squabbling crowd, bypassing the human barrier with ease.

However, a sudden icy chill halted my advance. Glancing down, I realised we were all trapped, feet encased in solid ice "Todoroki..." I deduced in annoyance. Fortunately my position at the rear shielded me from ensnarement.

Not wanting to waste energy on another summoning, I simply pressed my palms together, crafting a bird-like shikigami. Latching onto its outstretched talons, I glided past the frozen clusters of students, alighting gently on unfrozen ground.

"Can't rely on this for long," I muttered, dismissing the mystical bird. Its prolonged use would drain me before the real challenges began. For now, I proceeded on foot, keeping the frontrunners within my sight.

Up ahead, some of our classmates managed to break free from their icy bonds. Kirishima's hardened form allowed him to smash through, while Bakugou's explosions obliterated the ice. Various others escaped using their quirks, continuing the footrace.

"You underestimate us! Big mistake!" Kirishima shouted excitedly.

"Naive, Todoroki!" Yaoyorozu praised.

"I won't let you get away easily! You icy-hot bastard!" We all know who said this, lets be honest.

Mineta used his quirk to bounce around, catching up to Todoroki and avoiding the ice.

"You think you're so cool! But I outsmarted you!" The grape boy prepared to attack.

"Time for my special move! Grape-"

Before he could finish he was decked by a robot, sending him flying.

"Are you ok?! Those are the robots from the entrance exam!" I heard Midoriya point out.

Before I could ponder further, Present Mic's announcement blared through the speakers. "The next challenge - Robot Inferno! A test of strength and cunning!"

The zero-point villains from the entrance exam emerged, looming over us. While formidable, Todoroki dispatched them easily in a single icy blast. However, his recklessness nearly crushed some students beneath the falling metal husks.

Well we were advised to avoid them, but I guess that's going to be much more difficult in this case.

In the meantime, Todoroki managed to easily freeze the robots without breaking a sweat.

"We can still get through between their legs!" Someone pointed out. But Todoroki cautioned against their overconfidence. His calculated toppling prevented any safe passage.

"Careful now. I froze them when they were off balance, on purpose." Todoroki said coolly.

I couldn't help but wonder if the pun in that narration was intentional.

Unfortunately for everyone, one of the frozen robots destabilised and began toppling towards the racers.

"Crap! Someone's trapped underneath!" A student cried out. But before despair could set in, a familiar spiky-haired form burst through the robot's metal exterior.