Chapter 13 呪 A Cursed Cavalry Battle

"First years! These are the rules that you'll abide by; the game itself will last 15 minutes. Individual point values will be added together to reach your team's total. Everyone will know how much you're worth thanks to your headbands. Swipe as many headbands as you can to raise your team's score. Stolen headbands must be worn from the neck up. So the more you steal, the harder it'll be to manage them. And another thing, even if your headband gets stolen or your team falls down, you can keep playing until time's up." Midnight explained the game. 

I glanced over at Midoriya. He was shaking like a leaf, wilting under the glares from the other students. With his 1 million points, he'd undoubtedly be the main target.

"You can use your Quirks freely, but purposefully making another team fall will get you disqualified," Midnight continued. "You have 15 minutes to build your teams. Get started!"

As expected, Todoroki and Bakugo were swarmed by eager teammates. Their performances in the obstacle course made them prime picks to lead a team.

Midoriya and Uraraka approached Iida and I. "Iida! Akuma something something! Join our team!" Uraraka cheered.

"My name is Shiro Katoka-" I spoke before getting cut off by Midoriya.

Midoriya began strategizing excitedly. "If Uraraka makes us lighter, Iida's engines could maneuver us easily!" He turned to me with a smile. "Shi-chan's shikigami can defend our rear from anyone trying to get close!"

Iida smiled. "As expected from you, Midoriya."

"I see you as a rival now, so I'll be opposing you on my own team," Iida declared abruptly before walking away. Midoriya and Uraraka gaped in shock as he joined Todoroki's group.

"T-Then Shichan-" I cut the boy off.

"Hero." I said softly, yet with a powerful sense of dominance.

"If I'm being honest, I was worried about you when I was running through the obstacle course. But despite that you took 1st place, that makes you leagues ahead of me." I spoke.

"Shichan..." Midoriya's eyes widened.

"Not only that... But at the USJ, you saved me and All Might's lives." I looked away shamefully.

"That's not true! It was because of you that Shigaraki was held back for that long!" Midoriya attempted to reason.

"That's not my point, I've been losing to you, yet at the same time worrying about you, isn't that ridiculous?" I explained.

I stepped back from the pair. "That's why I want to win against you now. Because I know how amazing you are." I gave Midoriya a steady look. "I won't rely on you anymore, hero."

Suddenly, Bakugo grabbed me in a headlock. "Nice, Akuma! You wanna steal that bandana from shitty Deku right? Our goals align! Join my team you bastard!"

"I guess our interests do align-" I was cut off as I got grabbed by another student and pulled towards their chest. Did I become a shoujo heroine or something?

"Katoka will be joining my team, I also plan to take the 1st place bandana." I looked up and saw a familiar pair of heterochromatic eyes and split coloured hair.

"Todoroki...?" I mumbled confused.

"Icy Hot... What the hell do you think you're doing!?" Bakugo yelled, grabbing my arm and pulling me away.

"He's coming with us." Todoroki grabbed my other arm and pulled.

Currently, I had both my arms stretched out between Bakugo and Todoroki.