6.Saving Dawn

I respected Dawns orders. I ate in my room or in the kitchen and spent most of my day in the library. I do not know the nature of the spell the Queen ha on the necklace. What if I remove the necklace and it harms Dawn? I have a haunch that the necklace enhances the effect this place filled with darkness has in her. So she will be jealous.Rude. Doubtful.Mean. Everything she is not. I caught a glimpe of her yesterday morning in a dark blue gown. She looked beautiful, and she knew it. It was as if the kind,humble girl was gone and replaced by the Queen herself. I shiver achkowleding how ugly Dawns dark side is.

To hell with killing the Prince. He is not important. I must save Dawn before it is to late for her. I cannot let her walk down this path. She will hate herself. The servants apart from Addie avoid me. I hear them whispering. Rumers of the girl who killed the Princes guet and invited him in her bed for forgiveness float around the castle. They call me all sorts of names, having grown to love the kind natured Dawn I grew up around.

To my surprise she seems completely like that person around the Prince.It is just Addie and I who noticed her changes. Clair even has a worried look on her face,but says nothing in fear of her job. This new side of Dawn is highly unsettling and to much like the Queen for my liking. I cant help but wonder if the Queen did some sort of body swap spel,but then realize the Queen would never go anywhere without her black box. I cant help but question everything I know about Dawn. Was this part always there?

I saw glimpses of it even without the Queens help. Balance. The book lies by my bedside. I hesitantly pick up the book and open to the first page. I roll my eyes when I realize it is blank. Flipping through the next few pages, I find the entire book in the same condition. Of course the Prince wouldn't have given me something that was actually helpful ,but did he have to give me a blank book? I find myself tempted to ask him. I know he stops by my room after bidding Dawn goodnight. My door has been locked these last few days and I was glad he did not teleport into my room.

I haven't seen Dawn use her Powers since we got here. Perhaps she just need to see the light again. I already convinced Clair to try and remove the necklace or persuade Dawn not to use it. I know I am taking a chance here, but its not like I can tell Dawn the truth. She will never believe me, never truly understand.Today, Clair is leadig Dawn to the gardens. I await by the plants anxiously and smile when I see Clair and Dawn I grin noticing the pale pink dress and absent necklace. Clair did her bit.

Dawn frowns when she sees me, having not spoken to me in days. But if she could patch up with Clair, we will be fine. "Marcella," she uses my full name. "Your highness I realize I never explained or apologized about our misunderstanding," I tell her. In Dawns window, I spot Addie in the room. She holds up the necklace, giving me a hand gesture and vanishes. Addie knew all about magic , so I easily convinced her to take the necklace to my room. Clair knew nothing of this.

Addie had been charmed a few times herself ,and was eager to save someone from the pain she experienced. "The Prince did visit me, but it wasn't what you assumed. He noticed we were close and often asked about you," the lie is the only thing I will regret, but it is necessary. "He planted these for you," I gesture to the sunflowers, Dawns favorite flower. Dawn lights up at the sight of them. "I'm so sorry Cel," she says. "I should have known better than to assume ,you have always done whats best for me," she giggles.

"There is only one problem. These flowers don't thrive in the Kingdom of Dark. They will need help," I tell her. With a smile, Dawn flicks her wrist and instantly the flowers stand up taller, looking brighter. She beams. "I'm sorry Cel," she says. I find myself at ease now that Dawn is slowly going back to normal. The necklace made a huge difference and I will get rid of it. I know its a temporary fix, that this toxic place will affect her soon. I need to get her out of the Kingdom of Darkness.

The only way I can do that is by convincing her to go on a visit to the Kingdom of Light, and when she is gone I will kill the Prince and meet her there, finally able to attain my freedom. This plan is a little more complex than a necklace that is easy to misplace. The Prince doesn't join us for supper and Dawn and I find ourselves alone at the dining table. "I miss the food from home," I let out a sigh, trying not to cringe from referring to the Kingdom of Light as my home.

"Me to," Dawn agrees suddenly. "I miss my friends as well," she sighs. "Why don't you ask the Prince to visit them. They visited you. I'm sure they wont mind," I ask, eating another piece of food. Dawn thinks over it." Lucien is busy filling in for his parents this week. I barely see him. Perhaps a trip will cure my boredom," she says. Later that night I am almost ready for bed when Dawn bursts into my room grinning. "Lucien thought it was a brilliant idea. I can leave in the morning. I have already written to mother and just got a bird back. She will send a carriage," she exclaims.

"That's amazing, how long will we be staying," I ask her. At that, Dawn gives me a sad look. "I know you miss home to, but mother said the only carriage available only has space for one," Dawn says. I freign sadness. The Queen probably realized what I am planning and is ensuring Dawn is safe. Perhaps she cares for her daughter after all. It would make sense. Dawn is her only heir, and a beautiful girl. She would prove useful in alliances. She proved that with her current marriage.

"Its okay your highness," I tell Dawn with a small smile. Dawn gives me a tight hug. I spot Clair emerging at my door. "I'm going to pack," Dawn informs me. "I will be sure to bring you some food from home," she grins at me before retreating to her room. I sit on my bed wondering why the Prince had agreed so easily. Dawns enthusiasm and fast reactions was nothing new, but I certainly did not expect him to agree so easily. Especially since Dawn would be going alone.

The sunrise awakens me, along with Dawns hurried movements. I get ready quickly, making sure I walk her to the carriage. When we arrive, I realize I need not fear her safety. Three knights are inside, and there is indeed only space for one. "Oh my. It seems there is only space for one," The Prince's voice sounds behind me. Did Dawn not tell him? Perhaps she forgot in her excitement or failed to mention it in fear that he would say no. "Well, you're so busy I assumed Cel and I would just go, but you don't mind staying behind do you Cel," She asks, giving me her best puppy dog eyes. I try not to laugh at her antics. Shes a terrible actor, and the Princes frown informs me he knows she is lying. "Of course your highness," I smile at her and she steps into the carriage.

"Strange isn't it," The Prince comments when the carriage is out of sight. "As strange as that blank book," I answer. "You're looking at it in the wrong light, you do that with a lot of things," he responds. I frown at his confusing words. "Just a few days ago her parents visited. You two fought and now she is visiting her parents without you," he states. "She misses home," I respond. And he grins at me like he knows something I don't. "I wonder who planted that Idea in her head," he accuses me of manipulation. "The magic in this Kingdom was affecting her. She needed a break," I defend my actions. "So it was my Kingdoms magic," he chuckles.

"What else would it be," I roll my eyes. He steps closer, looking me in my eyes. "If the magic in my Kingdom is so toxic that corrupts even the Princess of light, then answer one question," his voice is low. "Why hasn't it affected you as well," he asks lowly before walking back into the castle and leaving me confused.