13.Memories and Nightmares

I stare at the letter in my hand wondering how to react. I have been sending my mother letters once every week updating her on my life since I got here,but her letter came early this week. She wants me to come back to the Kingdom of Light tomorrow. ALone. I get dressed noticing Clair took out a pink dress today. Glancing at my beloved necklace,I decide not to use it today."There is something in the gardens I would like to show you your highness,"she bows. I regard her suspiciously, but follow her anyway. I feel myself frown when I see Marcella there.

How absolutely pathetic."Marcella,"my voice cold and commanding. "Your highness I realized I never explained or apologized about or misunderstanding,"she speaks. Oh I undersstood very well Marcella.But I'll listen to your excuses and lies that you think I'm stupid enough to believe. "The Prince did visit me,but it wasn't what you assumed.He noticed we were closeand often asked about you,"she explains. How stupid does she think I am? Shes always throwing herself at him and seeking his attention. She wants to steal my husband. I will not let her.

"He planted these for you," she gestures to the ugliest sunflowers I have ever seen. Sunflowers are my favorite plant, but these almost make me hate them. Remembering my mothers words in her letter about Marcella being cunning. I decided to give the girl her own treatment. "I'm so sorry Cel, "I purposefully use her nickname. "I should have known better than to assume, you have always done what's best for me," I giggle, feeling sick at the act. "There is only one problem. Those flowers don't thrive in the Kingdom of Dark, they will need help," Marcella has no tack. My mother gave her to much credit.

With a smile I flick my wrist and the sunflowers look as they should. "I'm sorry Cel," I find it difficult to apologize to her, but Marcellas visibly relaxes, and I know instantly she believes me. Soon I find myself alone with Marcella for dinner, tolerating her presence is a burden. She really thinks shes fooling me, "I miss the food from home," she sighs and I freeze internally. "Me to," I agree, wondering where she is trying to go with this. "I miss my friends as well," I elaborate. "Why don't you ask the Prince to visit them. They visited you. I'm sure he wont mind," she asks before stuffing her face once again.

I pretend to consider. She wants me gone to try and steal Lucien , but perhaps this works in my favor. "Lucien is busy filling in for his parents this week. i barely see him. Perhaps a trip will cure my boredom, "I purposefully tell her about him, letting her believe it was her idea for me to go on this trip. After dinner, I head to Lucien's study. I enter slowly, finding him busy with work. "I would like to see my parents," I tell him. "You saw them the other day," he responds, not looking up from his work. "Not here. At home. I miss my Kingdom. I know you're busy ,you don't have to come. Cel will keep me company," I tell him.

With a sigh, he says: "Fine when will you leave?" He still doesn't look at me. "I will send a message to my mother and ask her to send a carriage tomorrow morning," I respond. "Very well," he nods, his tone dismissive. I will sort this issue out when I return. Having successfully convinced Lucien, I go to Marcellas room, walking in to see her ready for bed. I find myself glad I have disturbing her. "Lucien thought it was a brilliant idea. I can leave in the morning. I have already written to mother and just got a bird back. She will send a carriage," I exclaim with false enthusiasm, knowing she will believe every word.

"That's amazing, how long will we be staying," she asks. Oh? She actually wanted to come? No. Shes obviously hoping I leave her behind. Its okay, I will let her think she has won this time. I give her a false sad look. "I know you miss home to, but mother said the only carriage available only has space for one," I lie, watching how well she freigns sadness. "It's okay your highness," she responds, and soon after Clair enters the room. "I'm going to pack ,"I lie, my bags are already packed, I just needed to leave. "I will be sure to bring you some food from home," I say, leaving her room.

The next morning Marcella escorts me to my carriage as if I am incapable of walking alone. She sees for herself that there is only room for one. "Oh my. It seems there is only space for one," Lucien's voice surprises me. I did not expect him to see me of. Or is he here for Marcella? "Well. you're so busy I assumed Cel and I would just go, but you don't mind staying behind, do you Cel," I say , with my best innocent face, pretending I just found out." Of course not your highness," she responds and I get in the carriage. Finally, I find myself at home.

I go straight to see my mother and find her alone in her chambers. "Dawn," she smiles, proud I managed to come in such short notice. "Mother," I hug her tightly, having missed her. "You give Marcella to much credit. I let her believe this visit was a las minute trip based on her idea," I laugh at the girls stupidity. "You must be careful ,she is smarter than she looks," my mother warns me and I find myself annoyed at her words.

"Why did you need me here," I ask her." Marcellas is a threat to our Kingdom ,even with the box still in my possession," Mother says. "So what does that mean," I ask her, annoyed that she called me all this way just to talk about Marcella. "We kill her," my mother says. I wake up, gasping breathing heavily as I turn on my night lamp, my body shaking from the nightmare. Except it wasn't a nightmare. It was a memory. those things really happened.

I actually said those things. Those were my thoughts. That was me. I feel guilt and nausea fill my body. "It's not your fault, you were cursed," I tell myself. Its not my fault. But it will always haunt me. I regret every action. The way I thought still shocked me to the core. Sure, I may like Lucien, but I can accept he's not mine. I was so obsessed and possessive of him. I cant help but wonder if Cel's reassurances were lies.

What if they did have a relationship? While our marriage was still valid? Before they found out they were a perfect match? The thought of Cel lying to me makes my heart hurt. I look at the girl sleeping on a sofa-bed. No. She never lied. They weren't together like that. I understand that she lied to me most of our lives, but as soon as she was able to, she told me the truth and I don't blame her for not telling me sooner. I doubt the old me would have believed her. I idolized my mother. I thought she was a fair and just Queen.

I wanted to be as strong and powerful as she is. Now all I feel is sick. She used me. Like I was nothing. Soon I feel hands around me."Its okay,"Cel comforts. I didnt even hear her move."It was just a dream,"she reassures me. "But it wasn't Cel. I was so awful,"I cry knowing she has no idea what Im talking about. I cannot bring myself to tell her everything that happened. She would hate me. And then I would be alone. I don't want that.

Eventually ,I calm down. "You okay," Cel asks. I nod. "Wanna talk about it," she asks. I shake my head. She sighs. "Want me to stay up with you," she asks ,and I laugh. Shes to caring, and she doesn't even realize it. "No. I can go back to sleep," I assure her. Giving a final once over, she heads back to her bed. I lay back down and stare into my dark room. What if my mother planned everything? What if everything, including exactly what is happening right now is part of her plan to getting her closer to whatever it is she wants? What is it that she wants? The faster we find out the better.

I close my eyes, searching the regretful memories for a clue. "Power Dawn," her words echo in my head. Something she told me the importance of before I could read. Power. My eyes fly open. Marcellas Power. Realization washes over me in the form of terror. We need to destroy the box.