21.The Taste of Defeat

TRIGGER WARNING : THE FOLLOWING CHAPTER WILL CONTAIN BLOOD AND GORE

I stare at the carnage before me, the iron smell of blood filling the air as it seeps into the soil beneath my feet. I have no idea which of the dead are beneath us as we fight, the sides don't matter when you are dead. I push away my thoughts, focusing on not joining the multitudes of bodies on the floor. The monsters are vicious. They are faster and stronger than us, and much harder to kill. We are heavily outnumbered, and these beasts can kill us with a single blow. The bitter feeling of defeat loomed over my head as I assessed our situation.

I was wise to follow Marcella with my army, knowing the Queen has no idea what a peaceful negotiation is. It pains me that she did not tell me where she was going, the fact that she didn't causing my suspicion to rise. She should not have been able to come here, especially not without telling me first. Marcella was unaware that I used the box to make her attack the Queen and leave Dawn behind after everything went wrong. She should not have been able to come here, causing me to wonder how she did it.

Three boxes are in this battlefield, only one is real, that is , if Marcella didn't find out and try to trick me. I curse. She was always smarter than I gave her credit for. I promised I wouldn't control her, the bond should have been enough to make her believe me. So why wasn't it? Has her magic given her some resistance to the control? Marcella is the only shot I have at winning this war and saving my people, especially with the Queen in procession of the Crown of Power. Even if Marcella doesn't trust me, she will stay by my side.

I am the lesser of two evils, the only chance at peace, and she knows that. I am the only one who can truly set her free. I watch as dawn blasts a few of the Queens men, surprised by her actions. The girl was stronger than I thought. I can feel my magic draining my energy an spot the same fatigue on Dawn's face. The Power of the Light and Dark together can be strong, but it is not enough to stand against the crown of power. Only one magic could challenge it, and the girl processing it wasn't using magic.

I watched as Marcella effortlessly killed men, avoiding the monsters that have decided to attack her, her focus on killing what she could using her skills as a trained fighter and murderer. She was covered in blood and slightly panting. Not once had she drawn on her magic for help. In a way I admire her reluctance. As long as her magic could drain her more than it would drain someone with unbound. She is keeping it as a last resort, knowing she will not be as strong after using it.

Her stubbornness was going to get us all killed. As much as I may have respected it, right now was not the time for for her to be stubborn. We had to fight now and turn this battle around while we still had a chance. If we lose innocents in my kingdom will be killed. "Marcella," I shout, watching as she freezes at my commanding tone. A look of hurt flashes across her face for a moment but as soon as I see it, it's gone and her face is a blank mask as she shows her readiness to obey.

The energy around her crackles with pure power. I watch as two daggers form from purple smoke in each of her hands. The hilt is pure black with a skull at the end, the blade a pure purple flame. I stare at the weapon in wonder. I have never seen anything like it. I watch as Marcella rushes forward, charging straight towards a monster. She moves quickly, faster than I have ever seen her move as she strikes the beast , landing her blade into its skull.

I cannot help but frown, from the swords sticking out of the creatures head, she should have known that is not the way to kill the creature. My confusion is cleared as I watch the veins on the beast glow purple as it is consumed by purple flames, howling in pain before it turns to ashes before my very eyes. Marcella imagined a weapon that could kill the seemingly unstoppable beasts with a single strike. The Queens shout of dismay is enough for me to know it should have been impossible. But with someone like Marcella on my side, nothing is impossible.

How limited was her power? Could she end this war with a single thought? How much would that action drain her? I watch as she makes a quick task of killing every beast the Queen created, the blades disappearing into thin air as soon as she no longer needs it. She looks visibly paler, a bead of sweat on her for head, her breathing heavier and harsher. If something as simple as weapons drained her so much I doubt she could kill with a thought without severely damaging herself.

No her power was limited, and so was the duration of whatever had been created with her magic. Without specifics it would be a threat to us all. Thankfully, majority of her power is still in the rune box, and judging from the vibrations of the box in my procession, and her obeying my command, I had the original box. I find myself relieved that she did not suspect my control up till this very moment. There will be hell to pay after, but at least now we have a chance to win. It may harm the chance she walling to give our relationship, but it will not be long term.

Dawn is at my side, watching as Marcella angrily makes her way to me. "We had a deal," she hisses, referring to me using the box to control her, something I promised I wouldn't do. "You needed a push to use your magic Cel," I tell her calmly. "There's only 10 of us left. The Queen still has half of her army from the Kingdom of Light, as well as the crown of power. Your magic is the only thing that can fight it," I explain gently, not mentioning how the other half of the army is still safe in the Kingdom of Light.

"You know I wouldn't do what she did Cel," I assure her. She frowns at me, but nods. "We can continue this conversation later," she says, having calmed herself down enough to use reasonable thought again. The Queen is insane and must be stopped. Marcella knows this. A cry of anger from the Queen has us tensing up once more. We are tired and severely outnumbered. "You need to use your magic again Cel," Dawn shouts, alarmed, "We all do if we want to survive," is Marcella's response.

"Your magic drains you to much while tied to the box," Dawn protests. "It is for her own good Dawn," I remind the girl of a conversation we had in the Kingdom of Light. She was a weakness I would have to get rid of soon. Her power may be more than i anticipated, but it doesn't make her useful. As long as she is around Marcella has an excuse to stay away from me. As long as Dawn is around, Marcella will not do what is needed of her. This terrible battle is proof of that.

Marcella never thinks clearly when it regards the useless princess, easily forgiving every bad action as if it never happened at all. Dawn is an obstacle in my plan for after this battle. She has to go, and forcing Marcella to leave her alone in hopes that the girl dies isn't going to work this time .If Marcella's magic gave her resistance to the box's control, her emotions would only make that resistance stronger. And resistance is not what I need for our survival. Dawn has to go. She has to die.

Looking around, I find a small smile forming. If she is killed today, she will die a hero, a victim of war. Murder won't even cross Marcella's mind, unless of course the murder is that of the Queen, whom Marcella will blame for Dawns death. I have the perfect opportunity. And I am no fool who was about to waste an opportunity. After all, after seeing the gold in Marcella's eyes, I killed my true match and put on a permeant glamour.

I wasn't a fool who let perfect opportunities slide, Not at all.