Chapter 44: Convergence

AN:

Alright, we are back once again! I know it's getting longer between updates but with the holidays and everything, it's been hard to find the time to write, so that's my excuse... Not that I really need one anyway. A comment about all the ellipses I use made me laugh, and I thought it was a very fair thing to say, lol, so I've tried to cut back a little bit so they aren't used in every sentence. On another note, I'm usually down to let you guys say whatever you want as long as it's related to the story, so keep it related to the story and try your best to keep from using slurs...

Anyway, I hope to have the next chapter out faster than this one and it should be the last chapter in Lougetown, so that's very exciting! Once again, I thank all of you for sticking around with me! For the millionth time, I love all the support you guys give and can't wait to hear what you think about the chapter!

Enough from me; I know you just want to read, lol. Here's Chapter 44. Hope you like it!

---

Chapter 44: Convergence

"Alright.", Buggy said from underneath his cloak, eyes scanning the crowd his men were spread through. He looked over to the woman standing next to him, "It's rushed, but everyone's in place.".

"What makes you think he's even coming here?", Alvida asked, eyeing the tall platform in the center of the large area.

The question made the pirate captain smile deviously, a familiar straw hat flashing through his mind, "Oh, he'll be here. Don't worry.". He turned away from his companion and looked up at the platform's top, fist clenching at his side... The flashy bastard was going to pay. "Just make sure he makes it up there.", he ordered from over his shoulder, moving through the crowd and in the direction of the wooden scaffolding, "I'll take care of the rest.".

---

Luffy groaned in irritation at the crowd blocking his way, continuing to try and shoulder through as quickly as possible. Why the heck were there so many people there?!... It was pouring rain outside! He turned in the direction he'd come from when the growing noise of heavy footsteps and shouts hit his ears, curiosity in his gaze. It only took a moment for the sound of the commotion to grow louder and his eyes widened when the front of a mob entered his vision.

"THERE HE IS!".

"GET THAT KID!".

"DON'T LET HIM GET AWAY!".

"HE ATE OUR FISH! KILL 'EM!".

"Uh oh...", the straw-hatted teen mumbled to himself, quickly turning back to the numerous people at his front. Almost as if the crowd could sense his predicament, a path began to open up and he sighed in relief at his luck. He'd thought about trying to fly... But, if he misfired with this many people around... He shook his head and continued down the slowly widening path. It was probably best if he stayed landbound...

"What the hell's goin' on here?!".

Luffy looked to the origin of the voice and a smile almost immediately rose to his lips, racing toward the figure standing in the middle of the parted crowd. Shouts of protest came from the townspeople being shoved to the side by lines of men linked at the hands but he paid them no mind, his sandals pushing off the wet concrete and launching him forward. "Smokey!", he exclaimed, opening his arms to tackle the man just now turning in his direction.

Smoker's eyes widened, "Straw Hat?...". On instinct, his form shifted to smoke and the boy sailed through his figure, crashing face-first into the concrete at his back.

The pirate captain groaned and slowly pushed himself off the ground, rubbing his aching face in annoyance. He'd forgotten he could do that... He slowly stood to his feet and went to address the man but stopped himself when he caught sight of the path quickly beginning to converge once again as it was overtaken by the mob. His eyes shifted back to the black of the marine's and he shrugged apologetically before turning to continue his way toward his destination, "Sorry, Smokey! We'll talk later!".