chapter 2

-𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 2-

𝔱𝔯𝔦𝔭𝔭𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔲𝔭 𝔞 𝔟𝔲𝔩𝔩𝔶

The McCallister twins set off to a water fountain for lunch, hoping that no one would notice they were from the school of degenerates. Grover huffed, out of breath, as he tried to reach them without saying anything.

He would hate to have to yell out 'hey, McCallister's!' or something, as he didn't technically know their names yet.

His mission was going great. So far, Percy hadn't been found by any monsters, he was so good at protecting him, and he'd already found two other half-bloods. They'd give him his searcher's licence in no time.

The boy didn't hide his relief when they'd stopped to sit down.

As he reached them, trying to keep his cool, Paige seemed to finally notice him and smiled.

"Oh hey." She looked around for a second. "Where's your friend? Thought you two were attached at hip."

Grover gulped, he could do nothing but stare.

This girl... she could pass for a princess- wait no, a goddess, in his eyes. She had pale skin, but it looked beautiful in the light (not that there was much, due to the brewing storm overhead). Her eyes were a deep brown, they pulled you in just enough that you never wanted to look away.

After only a few seconds, though it felt like hours, he heard a fake cough from a meter away, causing him to glance over at the boy she was always with. He too shared her pale skin, but his cheeks were scattered with soft freckles everywhere. The boy had caramel eyes, not the same as hers but they too had the same affect. They were warm, and soft.

Nothing like the accusing glare he gave him, realising Grover had been staring at his sister a little too long.

Paige saw the glare and lightly elbowed him in the gut, turning to give the newcomer a welcoming grin.

"You can sit with us if you want." Again, it felt like his throat was closing up any time he tried to talk. "He won't hurt you."

It took him a moment to realise she was talking about the still glaring boy next to her, causing him to nervously laugh and take a seat on her right.

Gods, he was so thankful he didn't bleat or anything like that.

"I-" his voice unintentionally cracked. "I'm Grover."

The girl smiled again.

"I'm Paige, this is Nicholas my brother. He's usually more... approachable. Sorry."

No he's not.

But she wouldn't tell this boy that.

Grover anxiously glanced at Nicholas, just to see what his reaction was now that he'd introduced himself.

His eyes had finally released that nerving, threatening glare, and had instead turned to show boredom as he looked away to stare at the ground.

"It- it's no problem."

He thought about maybe asking her how she knew that much about Greek mythology, hoping that her or her brother already had some insight on who they were, but he knew they didn't deep down. The power coming from them nearly matched Percy's.