chapter 5

-𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 5-

𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔥𝔞𝔩𝔣𝔟𝔩𝔬𝔬𝔡𝔰 𝔡𝔯𝔬𝔭 𝔩𝔦𝔨𝔢 𝔣𝔩𝔦𝔢𝔰

"Nik! Nik! What's wrong with him?"

Percy groaned in pain as he turned his head, trying to see what was going on the back of the car. His mother, next to him was rubbing her temple, trying to peer through blurry eyes. Behind, Grover was lying limply in a heap, blood trickling down his chin, and as much fear that had shredded into his heart, the moment he heard the Satyr mumble "food..." he knew he was there.

He was okay.

Automatically, his gaze zoomed over to the girl's figure covered in dark shadows. She was struggling with her seatbelt, trying to get it off as she screamed her brother's name.

The black-haired boy flicked his stare over to the left side of the car, seeing Nicholas' body hanging down, the only thing stopping him from falling to the ceiling being his own seatbelt. Even in the dark, Percy could see the large gash on his forehead, blood dropping down on the roof and his brown hair flopped down. 

In short, he didn't exactly look up and ready to go.

The bags under his eyes were the very least of their problems right now.

A flash of lightning crashed from behind the car, both conscious kids looking over through the cracked glass.

There, in the shadows of the night, was a large figure. At first thought, it just looked like a huge football player. But as Paige peered closer, she noticed curled horns on top of its head. And its body was covered in a sort of fuzz, almost like Grover's legs.

Percy's green eyed widened at the sight, "who is..."

He heard a pained groan from his left and quickly looked over to his mom, who was struggling against the need to pass out.

"Kids, get out of the car."

She threw herself into the driver's car door, quietly shrieking as she nearly fell to the ceiling. Percy tried to do that to his own door, Paige too, but nothing worked. They looked around trying to find something to escape out of.

The brunette's eyes caught the broken window from her brother's door, "there. We can go out the window."

Sally nodded, turning to her son with a deadly serious look on her face.

"Percy- you have to run! Do you see that big tree?"

Paige automatically looked over, seeing a large pine tree at the crest of a hill. She didn't like where this was going. And her mind immediately went to the two unconscious boys next to her... How would they get out?

She wouldn't leave them.

Either of them.

"What?"

"That's the property line," his mom said. "Get over that hill and you'll see a big farmhouse down in the valley. Run and don't look back. Yell for help. Don't stop until you reach the door."

Paige noticed that his face was paler than usual, probably at the fact that he might lose his mother because of whatever the hell was happening.

"Mom, you're coming too." It was like a scene from a sick movie. Sally's features were pained, but not because of any injuries. She knew what she had to do for her son, and she was more than willing to do it. "No! You are coming with us. Help us carry them."