chapter 4

-𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 4-

𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔦𝔯 𝔡𝔞𝔡 𝔱𝔢𝔩𝔩𝔰 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔱𝔯𝔲𝔱𝔥

Grover let out a shaky sigh of relief as he saw Nicholas at the door, in an oversized hoodie and some very loose joggers. 

Before he could even say anything, or yell which seemed more likely at a time like this, the McCallister raised a brow and shouted a very bored "Paige it's for you!" and walked away from the door to their apartment.

He stared blankly at the now empty space in front of him.

He hadn't even noticed Grover's fur covered legs. Or questioned why he was there. Or how he found out where they lived.

He didn't exactly get to think about it, because a tired looking girl appeared in his place, smiling as she saw who it was.

Her brown her was pulled up into a bun on top of her head, a few strands falling down to frame her face.

She too wore an oversized sweatshirt, but instead of the joggers, she had on a large pair of blue shorts that went to just above the knee.

"Grover hey, what are yo-" Her eyes fell to his legs, mouth gaping open at the sight. As she looked back up, his cheeks were blushing intensely as she gave her a shy grin. "What happened to your legs? Why are you here? How'd you find us?"

And there were the bombard of questions.

Grover wished he could just explain everything to her right away, but he knew it'd have to wait. He could sense the monster getting closer. It was just a matter of time. 

"Paige, I need you to listen to me. You and Nicholas are in danger. Percy's in the car, we need to get you all to camp before it finds you."

Paige scrunched her brows.

Camp.

What camp?

In danger?

"What are you talking about?"

"Is your dad in?" She nodded hesitantly. "Get him. He'll explain everything, hopefully really, really quickly. We don't really have much time left."

The girl seemed reluctant, but let him in after a desperate look. He walked into the apartment, taken aback by how empty it seemed. The only furniture in what he assumed was a living room was a singular sofa in the middle of the room, facing a small tv. Further in was a kitchen and dining room mixed into one. But there was no table.

There was an open door that led to a dark hallway filled with more doors, he presumed they were the bedrooms.

Paige came back in a rush with her dad, Derek McCallister, and Nicholas, who seemed a little out of it. His eyes were basically covered in his dark bags, which was odd as they hadn't been earlier.

Derek was the first to notice the lack of human legs on the boy, his eyes widening in recognition at what he was. And then it was Nicholas' turn.

He had been staring blankly at the floor in front of Grover's feet, blinking every now and then to show he wasn't sleeping with his eyes open. Then, he'd glanced over for a second. And then again.

His forehead creased as he trailed up the legs, seeing grey fur at every angle. Just to make sure, he flicked his gaze back up to the boy's face and chest. 

"Why is there half a goat in your pants?"

Grover sheepishly grinned at him.

"The important thing is not to panic."