chapter 9

-𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 9-

𝔫𝔦𝔨 𝔤𝔢𝔱𝔰 𝔰𝔞𝔳𝔢𝔡 𝔟𝔶 𝔞 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔢𝔩𝔞𝔠𝔢... 𝔞𝔤𝔞𝔦𝔫

"Come on, demigod, stand up! Thought you were one of the chosen ones, hm?"

Nicholas gritted his teeth as he felt the bark of the tree run against his back.

"Aren't you guys demigods too? This feels like an insecurity you should deal with on your own."

He walked off for one second. 

One. 

He'd seen something in the woods that seemed more interesting than whatever Annabeth was telling them (no offense to her). And now, he kinda wished he'd just stood still pretending he was listening. 

The sharp, metal sword jabbed into his chest again, barely stopping before it cut into his skin. 

Above him were two boys and a girl. The boys were older, maybe 16/17. The girl seemed younger, but was definitely more mature than them. She had a soft auburn coloured plait, swinging every time she moved. Her green eyes pierced into him, filled with sympathy and yet she said nothing.

Her companions jeered each other on, both with brown hair. In fact, they both looked very similar, the only difference being their eyes. One had deep, deep brown, while the other a scolding blue. 

Nicholas bit his lip, hoping to hide his fear and pain. 

This only made the girl wince even more at the sight. 

 "I guess you're right, newbie... Maybe we just have to get rid of you so we can sort out our insecurities," one of them laughed at his own joke, prodding his chest with the sword, harsher this time. 

The other snickered too, before tapping his friend on the shoulder excitedly, "maybe we should get rid of his sister while we're at it. Then Luke won't have any of his twins will he? Just to make sure."

Nicholas' face paled.

He couldn't even imagine his sister in his place. At the end of the sword.

The picture itself was unbearable. 

As the boys continued to make sly comments about getting rid of the new campers, the McCallister glared down at the ground. He clenched his jaw so tight he was sure it would never open again.

How could they so freely talk about killing his sister like that?

What had she done to them?

The boys laughed loudly, causing their friend to grimace at the sound and take a short step back. 

Her gaze purely on the figure sat on the floor.

She was the only one to notice his balled fists. His rage-fuelled glare. His body shaking from pure anger.

And this was when she wondered if he'd get claimed.

By who?

Ares, most likely.

He's most tempered. 

It would make sense.

But Luke's prophecy...

Why would Ares claiming the twins cause arguments in Olympus?

She bit her lip, worry filling her core as the boys stepped back for a moment, before charging at full speed toward the tree.