Chapter One

Amber Williams was enjoying being the girlfriend of a superstar, albeit a retired superstar. Her life now consisted of luxury vacations. The paparazzi, however, were never far away, always wanting to get the scoop on her and Jonas James' relationship. It was something she'd never quite get used to.

Amber awoke in Jonas' arms, as she usually did.

"Morning," she mumbled, and Jonas turned to face her.

"Morning," he replied, sitting up, stretching and yawning. Looking around their third floor apartment in London, Jonas wondered how he'd gotten so lucky. He moved a curl of long brown hair out of Amber's eyes. "How did you sleep?"

"Good," Amber nodded. "What about you?"

Jonas stretched again. "You know me, I always sleep well when I'm with you."

"Awww," said Amber. She gently put her arms around Jonas. Life was good for Amber right now. Very good.

"Do you miss it?" asked Amber with a thoughtful look on her face.

"Miss what?" asked Jonas.

"Showbusiness, fame, all that stuff."

Jonas had to think for a moment. Did he miss it? "I honestly don't know, Amber," he said.

"So if someone called you and asked you to go back to showbiz right now, would you accept?"

Jonas didn't have the answer to that question. "Let's just say, it would take a lot to bring me out of retirement."

Amber nodded understandingly.

"What about you?"

"Huh?"

"Do you miss the showbiz stuff?"

Amber laughed slightly. "I just miss you being, well, you. And I know other fans do too."

"I'm still me, Amber."

"I know that. But it's okay for me; I'm with you. Think about all the other fans who miss you."

"You know you're not going to convince me to come out of retirement, right? So don't even try."

Amber smiled, and laughed to herself. "I wasn't trying to. I love my life with you. I really do. And I love you. But other people love you too."

Jonas stretched one more time, and started to get out of the bed. "What do you want for breakfast?"

Amber smiled. Jonas was a great cook. She loved it when he cooked for her.

"I'm in the mood for bacon and eggs."

"Bacon and eggs it is," said Jonas, and wandered through to the kitchen.

***

Jonas and Amber were chilling, eating their breakfast, when Jonas received a call from a number he didn't recognise. He decided not to answer it.

A few minutes later, the number called again. Whoever it was, they were certainly persistent. Jonas sighed, picked up his phone and answered. "Jonas speaking," he said.

A woman answered. "Hi, Jonas. My name is Edith Randolph and I work for the charity Smile which is a charity for children."

"Right..." Jonas wondered if he ought to hang up, but something about Edith's voice had piqued his interest.

"Now I know you're in retirement -"

"Yes, I am."

"But the Smile charity is putting on a huge telethon. We'd love for you to host it."

"Host a telethon?" Jonas repeated. "Like I said before, I'm retired."

"I know, but the organisers - my bosses - have been very clear it's you they want."

"Why me?"

"They think you're popular with a hip teen audience," Edith explained.

"I haven't been in the spotlight for months. I don't know, Edith."

"Please, Jonas? My bosses said they'd fire me if I couldn't get you."

Jonas thought for a moment. Being the sort of person he was, he really couldn't let someone be fired over him. "Okay, I'll do it. But this is the only thing I'm doing."

Edith squealed a little. "Thank you so much, Jonas. I'll email you all the details. Bye!" She hung up.

"What was that all about?" said Amber.

"You know how I said earlier, about there having to be a spectacular reason for me to come out of retirement?"

Amber nodded.

"Well, I think I just found it."

Amber's face lit up into a smile. "You mean?"

"Yep. I'm going to be hosting a charity telethon."

Amber squealed. "This is so exciting!" she gushed.

"Ssh," said Jonas.

"Why?"

Jonas looked down at the floor, and put his hands through his hair.

"Are you nervous?" asked Amber.

Jonas sighed. "It's just that I haven't been in the public eye in so long. What if I mess it up?"

"But you won't mess it up. You're Jonas James, for crying out loud."

"I'm just worried," said Jonas.

"I know. But I'll be here for you, to help you prepare. And I'll be there at the show.... If you want me there..."

Jonas smiled. "Of course I do, Amber."

Amber took his hands in hers, and kissed him..