Chapter Three

Rehearsals were underway for the telethon. Amber, as always, had a free backstage pass.

In Jonas' dressing room, Amber was giving him a last-minute pop talk before his first rehearsal.

"Jonas," she said, her hands on his shoulders. "You can do this."

Jonas nodded. "I can do this," he repeated.

Jonas walked out of the dressing room trying to look confident, although his hands were still shaking.

The rehearsal went well, much to Jonas' relief. Jonas didn't mess up or anything. Amber, who was watching from backstage, came up to him and gave him a big hug when he was finished. "You were great," she said.

"Thank you," said Jonas.

"Are you feeling more confident about the actual telethon now?"

"A little," said Jonas.

"It's going to be amazing," gushed Amber.

"And then afterwards, I'm heading straight back into retirement."

"We'll see." Amber secretly loved Jonas being in the public eye again. She didn't want it to end.

Amber and Jonas exited the studio hand in hand.

"Do you ever think about, you know, Rachel?" asked Amber.

Jonas was a little taken aback by the question. "I mean, sure, I hope she's getting on okay and all that. But she's a part of my past. And that's all she'll ever be."

Amber nodded. "I see. So you think I'm better for you than her?"

"Honestly, Amber? Yes, I do. We're on the same wavelength, you and me. Me and Rachel, just weren't."

"You mean she wanted kids and you didn't."

"But it goes deeper than that, Amber. You're much better suited to me."

"I'm glad. So what are we doing now the rehearsal's over?"

"What do you want to do?"

Amber looked thoughtful for a moment. Then she said, "I feel like going for some lunch."

Jonas smiled. "Lunch it is."

***

Amber and Jonas made their way to the restaurant. They sat down at a table for two, and the waiter took their order.

"Just think what avenues will open up now you're doing this telethon!" gushed Amber.

Jonas shook his head. "I've said it before; this is the only thing I'm doing."

"What about if you enjoy it? If you love it so much you don't want to give it up?"

"I doubt that will happen," said Jonas, but in the back of his mind, he knew that Amber did have a point. What if he did enjoy it so much that he wanted to come out of retirement? It wasn't such a big deal; celebrities went in and out of retirement all the time. But what would people think if he changed his mind? Would they take him seriously? It wasn't long ago he was seen as a big joke. Okay, so it was about five years ago, but that really wasn't a long time in the world of show business.

Amber stared at Jonas, who had a vacant look on his face. "You okay?" she asked.

Jonas nodded, snapping himself out of his daydream. "Yes, Amber, I'm fine. Just thinking."

"About what?"

Jonas didn't want to tell Amber that he was considering coming out of retirement; he didn't want to get her hopes up.

They finished their meals and paid the bill. Jonas still had that vacant stare on his face as they left the restaurant hand in hand.

"What's up?" asked Amber.

Jonas thought for a moment. Should he tell Amber that he was considering coming out of retirement? He didn't want her to get too excited; after all, it might not happen yet.

He decided against it. "I'm fine," he said, looking into her eyes.

Amber felt a shiver run down her spine, as she always did when Jonas looked into her eyes. She felt she would never truly get used to the fact that she was with him.

Amber felt she was a very lucky girl.