Chapter Four

The telethon was just two days away now. Jonas was pacing his apartment, feeling very nervous.

Amber was there to comfort him. "You've got this, Jonas," she said, putting her hand on his shoulder. "You aced the rehearsal and you'll ace the real thing."

But in the back of his mind, Jonas was also worried about coming out of retirement altogether. He was nervous of people's reactions - especially Amber's. He knew it would be mostly positive, but he didn't want her to be too enthusiastic about it.

"I'm so nervous, Amber," he said, still pacing his apartment.

Amber shook her head. "Jonas, you will be fine."

"What if people don't like me?"

Amber laughed. "You're Jonas James. People love you."

"They didn't used to."

"But like Rachel, that's ancient history."

"You're right," said Jonas, though he didn't really like Amber bringing up his ex. "Is Daisy going to be watching?" he asked, changing the subject.

"You know it," said Amber. "Which reminds me, I'd better message her." She took out her phone and tapped out a message.

Amber: Two days to go! Are you excited?

Daisy: You know I am. What about you?

Amber: Can't wait!

Daisy: How's Jonas?

Amber: He's nervous.

Daisy: Awww, he'll do fine.

Amber: That's what I told him.

Daisy: You're so good for Jonas, I'm glad he has you.

Amber: Thanks Daisy.

By that point, Daisy had gone offline, so Amber put her phone away in her pocket.

***

Rachel secured her long, platinum blonde hair into a ponytail. She took one last look in the mirror and sighed. Was she doing the right thing? What if Jonas didn't want to know her any more? But she knew that, if there was any chance of them getting back together, she had to take it.

Rachel put on her high heels and kissed her mother goodbye. Inside, she had crazy butterflies in her stomach. Mainly from the thought of seeing Jonas again, but also because she didn't know what his reaction would be. Was he with someone new? She didn't even want to think about that. So she just set off out the front door, and never looked back.

***

The day of the telethon had arrived. Jonas was nervous, of course, but Amber was in his dressing room giving him a last minute pep talk.

"I feel like I'm experiencing deja vu," she said as she put some gel in his hair.

Jonas was wearing a blue shirt and jeans. He looked at himself in the mirror, and the nerves started to bubble up inside him. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"We went through all this when you did the rehearsal. Which you aced, by the way."

Jonas sighed. "I don't know why I'm so nervous."

"Neither do I," said Amber.

Jonas looked in the mirror one last time, and he and Amber headed out of the dressing room together.