Chapter Five

Rachel had a hard time sneaking past the guards to get into the TV studio. She'd never done anything like this before, but Jonas was so worth it.

Rachel managed to sneak into the studio. She hid in a quiet corner and watched Jonas do his thing. He was his usual, perfect self, and he made her laugh, which he was good at. The more she watched him, the more she knew she had to get him back.

The telethon was about six hours long, and Jonas would have lots of breaks in between. Rachel said to herself she would talk to him during one of the intervals.

The telethon was going well so far. Jonas hadn't messed up, which he thought he would. Amber was watching from backstage, and loving every minute.

It was time for Jonas to have a break. Now was Rachel's chance.

Nervously, she snuck up to him. Jonas couldn't believe what he was seeing.

"Rachel?" he asked in surprise.

Amber was behind him, and clapped a hand over her mouth when she saw Rachel. "Rachel?" she repeated. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, Jonas," Rachel began. "I miss you so much. Please take me back."

Amber's mouth fell open, and her blood ran cold. Surely Jonas would choose her over Rachel? Or would he actually take Rachel back? She was so confused with her own feelings.

"I'm sorry, Rach. I'm with Amber now."

Now it was time for Rachel's mouth to fall open. "You... and her? What? When did this happen?"

Amber breathed a sigh of relief. Jonas had chosen her over Rachel! She still couldn't believe it.

"It happened about a year ago," said Jonas. "Amber has been living with me, and we've been travelling." He smiled, and placed a kiss on Amber's cheek.

"Wh... I don't understand..." Rachel was still gobsmacked.

"What is there not to understand, Rachel? I'm with Amber now. End of story."

"Didn't our relationship mean anything to you?"

Jonas didn't have the answer to that question. But it made him think. Did his and Rachel's relationship mean anything to him? Or was it just a part of his past, something he'd rather forget?

"Well, Jonas?" asked Rachel, rather sternly.

"I-I don't know," said Jonas, honestly.

Rachel started to cry.

"Oh, Rach, I didn't mean to make you cry," said Jonas.

"What can I do to make you take me back?" Rachel asked through her tears.

"Nothing," said Jonas. "I'm with Amber and that's that. Nothing is going to change."

Rachel could see that Jonas had pretty much made up his mind.

But she wasn't going to give up that easily.

***

As the telethon came to an end, Jonas could not have been more exhausted - even with all those breaks. He was also wary of where Rachel was, and what she was doing.

"I think that went well," Jonas said to Amber. "You know, apart from the little gatecrash moment."

Amber stayed silent for what seemed like forever.

"What's the matter, Amber?" asked Jonas.

Amber sighed. "I'm worried."

"What are you worried about?"

Amber closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Should she tell Jonas the truth, that she was worried that Rachel was a threat to their relationship?

"Amber?"

"Hmmm?"

"I asked you what you were worried about."

Tears sprung to Amber's eyes. "I'm worried I'm going to lose you."

"Is this about Rachel?"

Amber nodded.

Jonas pulled Amber into a hug. "Nothing is going to change the way I feel about you, Amber. Not Rachel, not anyone. You're mine, and you always will be."

Jonas' words made Amber feel a little better. But she was still concerned. "So you don't have any feelings for Rachel at all?"

"No, Amber, it's only you I love."

Amber nodded again.

"Does that make you feel a little bit better?"

"Yes," said Amber, though her eyes were still full of tears.

"Don't worry, Amber. I've always got you."

"I believe you," said Amber.