CLOSE TO YOU [NIKOLAI LANTSOV]

Summary: Nikolai giving you his coat on a cold night at the sea results to a sweet moment with him.

Prompt: Them giving you their jacket

---

The sound of waves crashing against the Volkolvny, seagulls screaming and the smell of salty sea air were some things that you loved when out at the sea. The chilly night air on the other hand, was a thing you wished would be gone. And that was the case today too, having tried to find a nook at the ship which would be safe from the winds.

That was when Nikolai spotted you, striding over with a small smile.

"Feeling a bit chilly?" he asked, making you jump up in surprise. You blinked a few times before you slowly nodded.

"A little bit. Well, quite a bit. And I didn't find my favourite sweater," you replied, trying to keep your teeth from clattering.

"Well, if that's the case..." Nikolai said and without hesitation, he shed off his coat, gesturing it towards you. "May I?"

You frowned, but didn't try to stop him as he went behind you, laying the coat on your shoulders. "Don't you need it? You're outside more than I am."

You knew he smirked at that, helping your arms through the sleeves. "I don't mind the cold if it means I get to share my coat with someone as beautiful as you."

You felt your cheeks heating up as he said that, and you knew that's exactly what he was after. The coat smelled like his cologne mixed with sea air and you resisted the urge to sniff it properly. And you couldn't help but grin at his flirty comment, looking up at him shyly as he stood in front of you again. "Thank you, Nikolai. This is very kind of you."

He looked down for a moment, letting out a little huff. "Anything for you," he replied, a sprinkle of amusement in his voice. "Besides, I've been looking for an excuse to get close to you the whole night."

Your cheeks grew hotter at that, and you let out a small laugh. Saints, this man always got you to behave like you were still "just" crushing on him and he knew it. Even when you were both aware of an unofficial relationship. But you decided to play along. "Well, you found your excuse then. And... I have to admit, I don't mind being close to you either."

Nikolai's eyebrows rose a little as he looked at you, walking you towards the deck so you could look out into the sea. "Is that so? Well, maybe we should look for more excuses to be close then."

You tried to prevent yourself from not beaming at him like an idiot and instead you crossed your arms. "Oh? And what kinds of excuses would those be?"

Nikolai chuckled, leaning a little closer. "I'm sure we'll come up with some good ones."

You smiled at it before turning your eyes back at the horizon - sun was already about to rise, you could see it dyeing some of the clouds with orange hue. You leaned your hands on the edge, glancing at Nikolai over your shoulder. "Yeah. But for now, I'm happy to be here with you right now."

Nikolai came to stand beside you, laying his hand over yours, intertwining your fingers. "Me too," he muttered. "Me too."

And there you stood together, watching sunrise until the rest of the crew started waking up and the deck was bustling with life again.

As the sun rose up higher to the sky, you were once again reminded why these moments were to be treasured so much - the beauty of nature mixed with being with people you loved. You knew it wouldn't last forever, Nikolai being a prince in hiding and all, but that was exactly why those moments were so important to have.