Chapter Five

"Karabast!!!" Sabine cursed, her exclamation slicing through the tense air as the two teenagers escaped the grasp of the Mandalorians and the First Order spacecraft landed nearby, but soon realized that the kids were better off alone than in the hands of the First Order. She knew it wouldn't be long though before they were inevitably caught, and labored on the thought, it was a burden that she would bear until Alrox and Gianna were safe. Her job was far from done, and so was Din's, in fact, the latter of the two had even more motivation than the former. The question now was not how they were going to find Alrox and Gianna, she and Din had both been bounty hunters at one point in their lives. Finding people was their specialty, and the reason they were sent for this job. The question now was how they were going to convince the two lost children that they were on the same side. She knew that the universe was a much larger and scarier place than either child realized. It was a void of danger that neither knew they had been born into.

"I'll go get them. Call the reinforcements." Din said, igniting his jetpack and shooting into the sky after the two runaways, determination apparent through the visor of his helmet.

Sabine gave a nod and put her gauntlet closer to her face, pressing a button. "Spectre five to spectre two, we have company and need backup!" Sabine said into her comm with an urgency in her voice, shooting down stormtroopers with one of her pistols as they came from the ship, swarming the land like angry bees who had just had their hive destroyed.

"I hear you Spectre Five, I'm on my way," Replied the unmistakable voice of Hera Syndulla, a beacon of hope that maybe, just maybe the day could be won. Sabine placed her helmet onto her head, holstering her pistols and drawing her green lightsaber, hopping from the roof onto the ground with the grace of a cat stalking its prey, and taking charge of the battle, she cut through the incoming stormtroopers as if they were nothing.

<><><><><><><><><>

Gianna and Alrox ran, bolting into the woods at speeds they didn't know were humanly possible, fueled by the adrenaline surging through their veins. With each stride, the ground beneath them squished, the mud oozing uncomfortably through their socks, yet the discomfort barely registered in their minds. All that mattered was the pursuit of freedom, an elusive goal that felt achingly close. Occasionally, Alrox checked over his shoulder to see whether Gianna was behind him, worried that he would lose his only companion in this endeavor.

"What have we gotten ourselves mixed up in?" Alrox groaned, still crashing into the underbrush. His words hung in the air for a few moments as Gianna tried to figure out a strategy.

"Can you climb quickly?" Gianna asked, giving no context whatsoever.

"I can" Alrox responded, the thundering sound of multiple pursuers on their tail picking up, "looks like we've got a lot more company."

Suddenly from behind them one of their pursuers fell to the ground, a flaming sword having pierced through him. In his place stood an alien woman, though her silhouette was human, she seemed to have a pale, yet tattooed face and cropped blonde hair, her piercing green eyes seeming to urge the kids on to safety as she spun her other sword to deflect bullets. Except it wasn't just a sword like the other one was, it seemed to be a bright green laser, as did the bullets she was deflecting, though they were red. It became apparent that the weapon she wielded, as well as the bullets she deflected, were more than they seemed, harnessing advanced technology and the power of the unknown, casting a surreal and awe-inspiring aura around their savior.

"Trees, climb" Gianna said, climbing the nearest one to her.

"Are you sure the trees are safe? It looks like they may be able to climb," Alrox voiced his concerns as he deftly ascended a tree trunk, mimicking Gianna's movements. Their choice of refuge seemed uncertain, but the approaching spacecraft left them with few alternatives.