Chapter Ten

Gianna stepped out of the shower, wrapping herself in a towel. She had been surprised to see how many things here were similar to those on earth. Gianna could somewhat convince herself she had never left, but something always felt off, like an uncanny valley. She glanced down at her nails, where her nail beds were beginning to grow out behind the almond shaped French tip press-ons that she almost always had on.

Gianna thought a bit before deciding not to clip the ends just yet. Though this would usually be the point where she would remove or replace them, the old press-ons seemed to be the only thing grounding her to reality. The last thing from home that she could hold onto.

Gianna grabbed the clothes she had set out. She had been surprised to see that she had been provided a variety of clothing, but was grateful. She had been told that she wasn't a prisoner, and it was actually starting to feel that way now, though she couldn't be too sure. She put on a white mock neck top and black wide legged pants, using the towel that she had used to dry her body to dry her hair as she headed back into the main room she was staying in.

Sitting on her bed, which had interestingly been built into the wall, Gianna stared at the dresser she had dragged in front of the hatch almost as soon as she had arrived at her quarters. It wasn't exactly a barricade, and maybe it was a fire hazard, but at least it kept out unwanted visitors, beyond locking the door. True, the dresser could probably be knocked over or even climbed over, but Gianna would know immediately.

Gianna laid back on the bed, staring at the ceiling now. All she could do now was tell herself that everything was going to be okay, even if there was a slight chance it wasn't.

<><><><><><><><><>

Alrox attempted to read a digital book on what heavily resembled an iPad. He was thankful for the option for an English alphabet translation, but it had taken him awhile to find. So, for the first few minutes, he was just trying to figure out what everything meant, and was able to decipher out a couple of characters. He had just figured out how to activate the English alphabet translation when the comm device he had been given went off.

"Alrox Djarin and Gianna Solo, please report to meeting room three-oh-five," the voice said. Alrox froze. Why would they need them? Alrox got up anyway, opening the hatch to his quarters and heading out to find Gianna. Part of him was curious, while another part was scared. Alrox decided to follow his curiosity, hoping it wouldn't get him into trouble.

Reaching Gianna's quarters, Alrox knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" Gianna shouted demandingly, her voice trembling slightly.

"It's just me, Alrox," Alrox responded. He then heard what sounded like something large and heavy being pushed across the floor on the other side of the hatch. A few seconds later the hatch opened with Gianna standing on the other side.

"Did you... barricade the door?" Alrox asked.

"Yes. And I really don't think we should go," Gianna said, "they might be treating us well but I... I've just got a really bad feeling about this."

"You mean you're still scared?" Alrox asked.

"I mean... yeah, you're not?" Gianna asked.

"I am, but whenever I do have time to calm down, when I can relax, I start to feel more and more like they're telling the truth. I'm unsure about this too, but at least they're not separating us. That says something," Alrox said. Gianna paused for a few moments. She supposed Alrox was right. Besides, he had trusted her when they ran away, and she hadn't shared much of her plan. Gianna could trust Alrox now in return.