Chapter 2

On the Castle-Across-the-Way lived a mother, daughter, son trio. Their castle was full of soot and dust, with broken chandeliers and spiderwebs in the corners. It wasn't so much a castle as a cave---yet another prison within a prison. And for ten years, this mother and her twins had our one another for company. Banishment to the far side of the island had made Evil Queen a little odd, and Evan couldn't help but notice how his mother insisted on making declarations just like some legendary "magic mirror." Evan was sure that his sister, Evie, had noticed as well. Evil Queen is a bit coocoo, that's for sure.

"Magic mirror in my hand, who is the fairest on this island?" Evil Queen asked as the twins were getting ready in the morning. They changed in different rooms, but now they are finishing up in the same place.

"Mom, you're not holding anything in your hand," Evan huffed. "Seriously, get a life."

"And is that really the first thing on your mind?" Evie asked their mom. "Not breakfast?"

Breakfast sounded good to Evan, who was starving. He and Evie perused the day's offerings---hard croissants and watery coffee from the basket the vultures left on their doorstep every day.

"Your daughter has grace but should take better care of her face to be the fairiest," their mother declared in her "magic mirror" voice. "As for your son, as handsome as he may be, he won't ever get a princess if he's not interested in love."

Evan rolled his eyes. "Mom, I've been here for ten years. How would I have possibly found anyone? And besides, the only princess around is Evie, and that's all levels of wrong."

Evil Queen ignored her son and focused on Evie. "You didn't put on enough blush," she said. "How will you ever win a handsome prince, looking like that?"

Once again, Evan rolled his eyes. "Mom! Do you want incest to happen? I'm the only prince on this island!"

Evie nodded in agreement. "If only there was an actual prince around here..." Evan glared at her. He is an actual prince!

But he saw her point. They were making the same one after all. There were no princes or princesses to be found on the island, as all the princes and princesses lived in Auradon now. That's where all the world's royalty lived - and that's where Evan and Evie should live too. But it was not to be. Like their mother, the twins would be trapped on the Isle of the Lost forever.

Evie checked the hallway mirror one last time and adjusted her blue cape around her shoulders, the back of it emboidered with a crown in the middle. Her poison heart necklace winked red in between the soft blue folds. Evan didn't feel the need to check himself again. He looks perfect - as always. And he'll be the most handsome boy at school, he was sure. All of the ladies will be drooling over him. Why wouldn't they? He was a very handsome prince after all.

"Your hair!" Evil Queen said with despair, tucking a loose strand back into Evie's neat V-Braid, which swept her hair off of her forehead. She looked at Evan. "Okay, now you are both ready."

"Thanks, Mom," Evie said. "Are you sure it's safe to go to school?"

"No one can keep a grudge for ten years!" Evil Queen claimed. "Also, we're all out of wrinkle cream! Pick up some from the bazaar - I don't trust the vultures to send the right one."

Evie nodded, while Evan rolled his eyes. He hoped their mother was right though.

But when the twins stepped outside, they both froze. He has never been afraid of Malificent's curse before, but that clearly changed. Why though? Weird. When nothing happened to them, Evan and Evie kept going.

When Evan and Evie arrived at school that morning, everyone stared at then as they walked through the halls. Evie looked nervous, while Evan simply grinned at all the attention he was receiving. The twins were suppose to check in with Dr. F, the headmaster, when they arrived. But where were the administrative Chambers?