Chapter 24

Ben stared out of the window while Lumiere measured him for his upcoming coronation. Ben was deep in thought, staring right at the Isle of the Lost, where all the villains live —— and their innocent children.

"Ben, you good, bro?" asked Ben's royal advisor, Ryder. He was leaning against the wall, as Ben's measurements were going on.

Ryder was just like his dad, with a charming grin, sense of awareness, and his humor. Meanwhile, Ben was similar to his mom, with his kind heart, good nature, and his trust in others.

Ben turned his head, startled, just as Lumiere started head measures for his crown. "Um, I'm fine... just thinking," he said. "Hey, Ryder, do you ever think about the kids on the Isle?"

Ryder blinked, wondering if he was joking. "Well," he started, "I mean, not really. Why would I?"

"They're being punished for what their parents did," Ben said. "Don't you think that's wrong?"

Ryder shrugged, wondering when he can go eat chocolate. But nevertheless, he said, "I guess... but their kids are probably brain washed to believe in evil, so it's probably too late."

Ben sighed, but before he could say anything else, his dad came into the room, hand in hand with his wife, Belle, followed by Ryder's parents —— Rapunzel and Eugene Fitzherbert, otherwise known as Flynn Rider, which is how Ryder got his name just with a Y instead.

"How is it possible that you're going to be crowned king next month?" Adam questioned. "You're just a baby!"

"And, you, my little prince," Rapunzel said, ruffling her son's hair, "royal advisor! I can't believe it."

"Mom! Don't touch my hair!" Ryder huff. "It's off limits!"

Eugene nodded. "The hair is sacred," he said.

"He's turning sixteen, dear," Belle said. "As for Ryder, give it a few months..."

"Gosh, sixteen!" Adam exclaimed. "That's far to young to be crowned king. I didn't make a good decision until I was at least fourth-two... Why are you shaking your head like that, Eugene?"

"To give you a hint to stop talking," he gestured to Belle who was giving her husband a look —— everyone should know what the look is, it means you're about to die.

"Uh, you decided to marry me at twenty-eight," Belle said, offended.

"Ah, it was either you or the teapot," Adam says, causing Ryder to snort and for Ben to lightly chuckle.

"Want me to get my frying pan?" Rapunzel says with a smirk.

Adam's eyes widened. "Kidding," he claims, staring between Belle and Rapunzel. "I'm only kidding."

"Mom, Dad," Ben said, turning serious. He attempts to walk forward, but is stopped by Lumiere. "I've decided my first official proclamation." At this, the adults exchanged shocked looks, while Ryder raised an eyebrow, wondering why his best friend didn't say anything to him.

"I've decided that the children on the Isle of the Lost be given a chance to live here in Auradon," Ben says.

"Excuse me, what?" Ryder says.

Rapunzel entwined her arm in Eugene's. They exchanged looks. Upon seeing the faces of Belle and Adam, Rapunzel says, "Ben, sweetie, why don't you...  give us more details."

"Every time I look out to the island," Ben started, "I feel like they've been abandoned."

"The children of own sworn enemies.... living among us?" Adam questions.

"Yes, their children," Rapunzel said, deciding to help Ben out.

Eugene nodded, him being an ex-thief himself, technically he's more guilty then those children, at least to his knowledge.

"We start out with a few at first," Ben said, "only the ones that need our help the most. I've already chosen them."

"Have you?" Adam questioned, clearly not excepting his son's idea.

"I gave you a second chance." Belle said. "And don't forget that your best friend used to be a thief, you know."

Eugene chuckled. "Using past tense, huh?" he asked. Upon everyone glaring at him, he said, "Just joking, chill!"

Ryder sighed and turned to Ben. "You didn't say anything to me! You as—-"

"Who are you thinking about bringing?" Rapunzel interrupted in a hurry, shooting her fifteen year old son a glare.

Ben took a deep breath. "Son of Cruella De Vil... son of Jafar.... The twins Evil Queen... youngest daughter of Peter Pan.... and daughter of Maleficent."

Everyone stared at him in complete silence until Eugene said, "I'm just glad it's not Gothel."

Rapunzel nodded in agreement to that.

"Maleficent!" Adam yelled. "She's the worst villain the land!"

"How though?"  questioned Ryder. "All she did was put a kingdom to sleep. Mulan's nemesis —— whatever his name was —— killed lots of people. Hades tried to kill a baby, his nephew at that. Then there's Queen of Hearts beheading everyone."

"And let's not forget Gothel who literally killed me," Eugene said, kissing his wife. "Thanks again, Raps, for making me not dead."

"Call me Raps one more time and I'll bring out the frying pan," Rapunzel said, half joking.

"Well... regardless, Maleficent is still the worse villain in the land," Adam said, a little put out.

"Dad, just hear me out here," Ben practically begged.

"I won't hear of it!" Adam claimed. "They are guilty of unspeakable crimes."

"Dad, their children are innocent," Ben said. "Don't you think they deserve a shot at a normal life? Dad?"

Adam and Belle exchanges looks. Ryder glanced at his parents, who were deep in thought —— Rapunzel about Ben's proclamation and Eugene about when dinner was.

"I suppose their children are innocent," Adam admits grudgingly.

"Well, well done," Belle told her son before Ben's parents left.

"Good job, Ben!" Rapunzel said. "I can tell you'll make an amazing king."

Ben blushed. "Thank you, Rapunzel."

"Although you'll be a better king if you had amazing hair like me," Eugene said with his trademark smirk.

Ryder rolled his eyes and then punched Ben in the arm.

"Ow!" Ben cried. "What was that for?!"

"I'm still mad at you for not telling me," Ryder pouted, arms crossed.

"That's your son," Eugene whispered to his wife as they both trailed out of the room.

"Do you think I made the right decision?" Ben asked his friend.

"You made a risky decision," Ryder said after a moment's pause. "But that doesn't mean it's bad —— but remember, it doesn't mean it's good either. I guess we'll just have to watch the outcome, huh?"

"I guess we do."