Chapter Four: Nemain

Over the weekend, as well as the weeks that followed, Erika was suckered into working with the druids of the village, where she did her best to learn all about them. She started to form ties with the Druids and the Keepers of Aideen. Erika had managed to adopt Firefly, Nightshade, and Sunbird into her new stables in Valedale Village farm. Those three horses were the only horses who get along with Erika.
Erika and Rhiannon had both left Valedale Village a little while ago and had a long day's journey into night ahead of them still. Erika didn't know where she was going to spend the night. The duo had to go to one of the oldest cities of Jorvik, Jarlaheim, to check on the newborn foals to see if any of the foals were born as Starbreeds.
The morning sun shone down on the great fortress of Jarlaheim. The crowds were beginning to come through the marketplace as the heat of the day begun to rise. The early yellow light made the buildings and balconies gleamed like ancient silver. Locals inspected the produce and goods. But among them wandered foreigners in unique clothes and women with equally unique makeup. A little away from the crowds of the people was Rhiannon on Nix with Erika on Firefly by her.
The girl scanned the crowd curiously, but a faint look of loneliness entered her blue eyes as gazed at the crowds of people. Erika sighed wearily and started riding carefully through the town without accidentally bumping into anyone.
A group of young girls stared at Erika, some with envy while others gave her looks of old admiration. The looks she received from the young men were less divisive. They stared with widened eyes and mouths opened ajar, some even winked and flexed their muscles. Erika rolled her eyes at the sight and looked away from them.
The children's reactions were more pleasant. They waved and and smiled with innocent enthusiasm. A few elderly villagers and younger people were also friendly. Her eyes softened when she saw an elderly couple sitting on a bench. The husband gifted his wife a rose.
The Trader's Market was more energetic than Erika expected. There were people coming to and from various shops and stands to sell a variety of items like handcrafted jewelry, plates, and pottery, some being made right there next to the stands as a crowd of people watched the artists at work. Jugglers entertained the locals and visitors, minstrels playing on their lutes, accordions, and pipes. The music was infectious, pulling Erika to join in the group of people who got up to dance in the town square.
People were selling cooked meat and deep-fried kabobs on sticks, cooked fish sliced up and served with lemon at an outdoor restaurant, fresh berries being squeezed into wine for the grownups and juice for the children, and of course sugary treats like caramel apples, pies, ice cream, and bars of chocolate, some molded into the form of animals like dogs, horses, and bears. A few were shaped like dragons or griffins, and even bunny rabbits. Erika's stomach grumbled as she took in the smell. Every aroma intermixing in a way that made her hunger grow with each breath.
Luckily for her, Rhiannon shared her sentiment. Rhiannon paid for Erika's meal while she and the rest of the search party spread out to start asking questions. Erika was amazed and happy by how good the food tasted. The oil spaghetti with shrimp was delicious and the cupcake she was offered was addictively sweet.
It didn't take long for Erika and Rhiannon to be standing outside of the intricate wrought iron gates of Jorvik Stables, which were flanked on either side by two rearing, marble horses. From a fair distance, she could see a few riders in a meadow that began where the stable yard ended. Beyond that, was a glimpse of the forest, and farther away, the high mountains stood against the blue horizon. Behind the stable was the shimmering pure and blue of the sea. The main stable seemed to be large and well kept, with several paddocks, indoor rings, and stable buildings. It was surrounded by a wall that has been constructed from the same pale yellow bricks as the buildings.
"Herman!" Stein hollered in the direction of the house. "Erika's here!"
Herman stepped out of the house and headed towards them. He gave them a big smile and came over to say hello. Erika's hand was enveloped by one of his strong, firm hands.
"Nice to meet you! I'm Herman," said the man. "I own this amazing place. Welcome to Jorvik Stables! Erika, is it?"
"Yes, it's nice to meet you too," Erika said softly.
"Come along," said Herman and led them towards a paddock.
About a dozen horses and ponies stood inside of the paddocks. Some were drinking water, others were standing about. A couple were grazing, clearly wanting a snack. A few playfully nudged one another, clearly friends. A few foals chased after each other as if they were playing a game of tag. They varied in all sorts of colors. Some have white pinto markings on their coats or have regular white markings too. Some horse experts recognized some of them as ponies, due to their smaller statures.
But when she was walking out of the stables after she was taking a break from checking the foals, she heard a familiar whinny. Erika soon saw a paddock with some trees and a stone-made field shelter, but there's a familiar horse within the paddock.
The mare flicked an ear and looked at her curiously before she slowly started walking towards Erika, much to the teenage girl's surprise. Erika fought off the urge to step back from the wild mare, the mare's gaze seemed to be gleaming with warmth. Her eyes were mild. Blue like the shade of sapphires. The mare seemed to be studying her, as though she could see straight through her. Erika's wariness evaporated when their eyes met. She felt herself become more calmer and warmer. She seemed to be studying her, as though she could see straight through her. Her fear evaporated when their eyes met. Suddenly, her breathing slowed. She felt calm and comfortable.
Erika gingerly walked up and stood close enough to touch the horse's extended neck. The sunlight shone down on them through a circle of clouds overhead.
The mare is stunning to Erika, nothing like she'd imagined. The lines of her graceful body curved with an elegant, strong precision. Her delicate muzzle narrowed into a sleek, proud nose, and her large blue eyes are shining like a pair of a sapphires. Her coat is well-groomed and is the color of a starless night sky. Her thick, wavy black mane and tail is the same shade as the midnight sky. But what stands out was that the mare has a white star that's hidden underneath her black forelock. In a sense, the mare looks like a wild Shire horse.
All of Erika could feel was warmth and affection for the horse as she put her head close to her and snorted. Erika let out a soft chuckle and thought to herself that the mare was behaving like a lovable puppy, despite being a horse.
An electric warmth rushed through her. It was like a buzzing electric current, but painless.
Trembling slightly, she continued to pet the mare's warm and soft muzzle. The mare stepped closer and blew air into her face. She smelled of the fields, the beach, and something else she couldn't quite put her finger on.
She soon spoke in a voice that she barely recognizes. "You need a name. What is your name?"
In a soft, but gentle voice that seemed to have come from her mind. "My name is Nemain."
"Nemain is a great name," Erika agreed with a smile. The mare nickered and nodded as her blue eyes gleamed.
I sound like I'm in love, Erika thought. She had never been in love, not really, but judging from what she'd read and seen in movies, she could guess that it was something close to what she was feeling right now.
But it was not infatuation. But it was certainly something. All she knew was that she wanted to be brave enough to ride the mare and go on great adventures that they both dreamt of having. It was as if they were the only ones who could both see and feel what freedom feels like. All that remained was Erika and with the inexplicable, electric warmth surrounding them.
Erika raised her right hand in front of her, she closed her eyes and looked away as she felt uncertain of how to befriend one of the most feistiest mares that ever lived. She felt her breath caught in her throat as Nemain leaned her muzzle into Erika's palm, snorting softly, making Erika looked at the black mare in surprise. They both met each other's eyes with open curiosity, Erika somehow knew that they were both confirmed as equals.
The two of them both met each other's eyes. Emotions rolled around inside Erika like a whirlwind. She doesn't know whether to feel joyful or awed or nervous or uncertainty. New feelings like lightning raced between them: newly made trust, curiosity, excitement, and empathy. Behind those blue eyes seemed to hide more intelligence than seemed possible for any horse and Nemain's eyes seemed to have the reflection of Erika's soul. Erika was surprised to see that Nemain seemed to be smiling at her with warm eyes. Nemain nickered softly and nodded to Erika, she lowered her head and began to nuzzle her face.
"Good job Erika." The two of them looked towards the direction of Herman and Rhiannon, who were both unknowingly watching them with a proud smile. "Nemain is very picky when it comes to who rides her."
"Really?" Erika glanced at Nemain, who nickered softly and her blue eyes twinkled at her.
"I want to ask you become Nemain's owner," said Herman warmly. "You can ride her whenever and whenever you want. Nemain wouldn't let anyone else get near her."
Erika smiled and hugged Nemain around her neck before she spoke to Herman. "Thank you Herman. Can you tell me more about her?"
"She was from a herd of wild horses, beyond the Mountains of Jor in the east," explained Herman. "The Jorvik Rangers brought her back to the stables, in time, she learned to trust me. But she's still very headstrong and spirited. As you heard, not many people had managed to get a foot near Nemain — until you arrived. It's amazing."
"Nemain for telling me this." Erika beamed at Nemain as the beautiful mare laid her head onto Erika's right shoulder, while the teenage girl petted Nemain's cheek.
"You're welcome," said Herman. "Why don't you try riding your new mare in the paddock?"
"Lets do it." Erika smiled determinedly and Herman gave her a lead bridle. She smiled as Nemain didn't cause much trouble as she did back in the paddock earlier and let Erika lead her out of the small paddock.
It wasn't long till Nemain was wearing some riding tack, including a brown English saddle and bridle, while her riding blanket is dark blue that sparkled like constellations of stars sewed into the fabric. She had also placed on a black helmet and her black fingerless riding gloves.
Erika was uncertain about riding again, but her anxiety faded away as Nemain lovingly nuzzled her head against hers. She strapped her fingerless riding gloves and put the helmet onto her head. It has been over five years since she last wore riding gear, but Erika was glad to have it again. She felt nothing, but determined and excited to be horseback riding again.
It was a clear, breezy day, and trees were swaying in the wind. It was a good day to start riding again. Erika glanced up at Nemain, who looked completely calm. Out of the corner of Erika's eye, she could see that Herman and Rhiannon were both studying the horse too. They left behind a tree-lined road and the yellow brick buildings and walked out through the north gate, which led to the big paddock.
Erika put her foot in one of the stirrups and flung herself onto the saddle. She slipped her other foot into other stirrup and took hold of the reins. They walked on slowly in a circle inside of the paddock.
After a few minutes, Erika had finally stopped trembling. Nemain walked forward smoothly and gently, peering up at Erika. If horse can smile, Nemain just did. She smiled back at the mare and felt a gentle touch of tears in her eyes. This time, it was tears of joy and massive pride. She's finally back in the saddle with her best friend!
After a bit, Nemain trotted for a bit until she finally broke into a smooth, flowing canter. They were flying together, as though they're one in the same. Erika felt the gentle wind rushed through her. She was intensely aware of Nemain's movements underneath her. She felt herself smiling and Nemain let out a loud whinny. While Herman laughed joyfully and Rhiannon started clapping proudly.
I did it! I'm riding again! Erika smiled as she gently petted Nemain's neck as the mare looked up at Erika proudly and she said to her new partner. "Thank you Nemain." Nemain whinnied and it wasn't long they started galloping. They were soaring together, as though they're one in the same. Erika felt the whooshing of the wind going through her. I'm finally with a friend and a partner who isn't afraid of me.