Chapter Twenty: Reunion

The sun was low, and the sky was on fire with a blazing sunset and into a calming twilight. But galloping from Epona was Linda on Meteor and Gunnar on Morrigan. He encouraged Morrigan to slow down a bit and he looked over his shoulder. His expression full of confused sorrow and heavy regret.
"Gunnar." He looked away from Epona and at a mysterious Linda when he heard her soft voice. "We need to keep going."
He didn't say anything as he followed Linda on the unused trails to the Forgotten Fields. Though, one could see that he was surprised to see the Unfortunate Dews' Farm was being worked on. Some cows and sheep could be seen grazing in separate spaces while some chickens were pecking at the ground as they ate pieces of corn.
"We're almost there," said Linda.
"Almost where?" Gunnar asked her quietly.
Linda gave him a mysterious smile, her brown eyes gleaming. "Lets just say we have to meet someone." Gunnar offered no reply.
As they approached the Forgotten Fields, the ocean shimmered in the late evening sunlight. Fresh, grassy fields with rolling hills surrounded the area, which was specked with trees and boulders. There was a dot on the plains, a mass of brown that was moving slowly across.
Linda gasped in amazement and Gunnar's eyes widened when they both saw a herd of horses stampeding as fast as the wind, their hooves thundering against the earth like a massive thunderstorm.
They varied in color - some were bay, a few were chestnut with white markings, a couple were light gray and/or white, one or two were dappled buckskin, others were chocolate brown or bay with white markings. The head stallion pulled ahead of the herd, managing to keep ahead of the herd.
Linda hummed thoughtfully at the sight of the stallion and Gunnar made Morrigan, stepped back so he won't accidentally agitate the wild horses. While Linda made no attempt in trying to catch the wild stallion or any members of the wild stallion's herd. The stallion nodded in a firm understanding before he spun around and galloped after his herd.
They both watched as the wild horses galloped across the nearby river and into the nearby forest. Linda sighed in relief and it encouraged Meteor to trot down from the grassy hill with Gunnar riding behind her.
But when they looked up, they both soon saw something astonishing in the sky. Despite the darkness of the appearing night sky, they were so bright and clear like distant diamonds sparkling in the night, while the sky is like deep sapphire blue velvet that sparkled with the stars overhead. As the clouds cleared, a silver lining of the moon had also appeared in the night sky and had casted its soft silvery beams of light over the sea.
Gunnar was silent, but he took in the beauty of the night sky. He thought he'll never see the moon or the stars or the sky again after his "execution." One could see some tears ran down his face, clearly wishing he knew his brave descendant better after his curse have been lifted.
Gunnar felt a bit depressed at the sight. He remembered meeting his unknown daughter in Devil's Gap a few years after he and Morrigan had been "executed" and lost his wife. He sighed at the memories and his late descendant mournfully.
"We're here." Linda's gentle voice snapped Gunnar out of his thoughts and realized that he was on top of another grassy hill with Linda, on their respective horses. He stole a glance at Linda and glanced at the direction of the Sleeping Widow's fallen partner, his eyes wide with amazement and Morrigan nickered at the sight.
The enormous tree stood in the grassy fields, above the beach. It had stood in the fields since Jon Jarl's glory days, when Jorvik Stables had served as the royal stables before it had fallen and have been reborn. Its thick branches and substantial root system had seen all sorts of things: lives kindled and extinguished, horses and riders who came and went. The tree's own seasons were capricious, impossible to predict. Fresh green leaves and white flowers have been growing rapidly on the tree's branches, some blossoms were falling to the ground. It was as if the tree were living its own life, just like so many other things in Jorvik.
"Linda." Gunnar glanced at the Soul Moon Rider. "What are we doing here?"
She gave him a mysterious smile. "You'll see."
Stepping out from behind the Companion Tree was none other than Alex Cloudmill on Tin-Can.
"Alex!" Linda's voice was filled with joy and relief. The two Soul Riders both hugged each other, sisterly love could be seen between them, and the two Guardian Horses nuzzled each other with brotherly love could be seen.
But Gunnar watched them with mournful grief and regret. He patted Morrigan's neck, his eyes glistened with mournful tears. People may say he lacks a soul when the opposite is true. He does have a soul, but now his soul has been shadowed by the destruction of the rune stones and his heart is a deeply scarred and guarded from what happened. But his love for his wife and daughter, along with the friendship he has with Morrigan still reminds him to this day.
"We're not the only ones who survived that craziness in the Devil's Gap," said Alex, snapping Gunnar out of his thoughts.
Linda gasped softly and her brown eyes widened. "Really? You mean she's...?"
Alex smirked and let out a whistle. "You can come out now!"
As if melting out of the shadows of the Companion Tree, an equestrian rider on a great black Shire mare rode out from behind the great tree. The rider locked eyes with Gunnar. He watched as the rider encouraged the black mare stepped slowly out of the shadow of the Companion Tree.
Slowly but majestically, the equestrian rider stepped out of the shadows. They soon stood in the cool light of the silvery moon. The rider soon revealed themself. Gunnar gasped and Linda smiled.
The rider was none other than Erika Thrymson and the black mare is Erika's loyal friend Nemain.
"E-Erika?" Gunnar's eyes widened as Erika made Nemain stop in front of him. "I-Is that really you?"
She smiled at him. "Yes. It's me."
Morrigan's nostrils flared as she sniffed the girl and nodded her head. "I can confirm it. She's alive!"
Erika smiled and acknowledged that fact with a nod, as did Nemain. The two riders stood face to face with each other and the two dark mares nuzzled each other. She wrapped her arms around Gunnar and squeezed her ancestor tightly. Erika felt Gunnar's strong arms wrap around her. She shut her eyes and let her whole body relax into the embrace. A silent sob escaped from her. Warm tears were sliding from Gunnar's face too.
Watching them from a fair distance were the two Soul Riders and their Guardian Horses. Alex smiled at the reunion between the Master of the Keep and the Rider of Lightning. Linda smiled as she understood the bond between them, life and death can't be without each other and they equal each other with their differences on Jorvik.
Alex smiled at the reunion between the Master of the Keep and the Keeper of Aideen. Linda smiled as she understood the bond between them, life and death can't be without each other and they equal each other with their differences on Jorvik. Alex knew that Erika cared for Gunnar and finally understood that they're related. Linda knew that Erika was trying to help Gunnar and the unknown connection between them has finally been revealed.
It didn't take long for the two Soul Riders, the Lightning Rider, and their respective horses to stand in the shadow of the Companion Tree.
"What happened to you two?" Linda asked Alex and Erika curiously.
The two respective girls exchanged uncertain glances. But Alex had worked up the courage to speak up Linda. "It's a long story."