Chapter Six: The Lost Story

By the next dawn, one could see Erika was dressed in new riding clothes. She was wearing a cyan shirt secured by a black riding vest while on her head is a black helmet and dark brown pants that's folded at her black riding boots.
But when she putting on her fingerless black riding gloves. She hesitated when she gazed at her strange rune stone made tattoo on her hand.
Erika went towards the paddock, smiling when Nemain had came towards the fence to greet her new owner. Nemain whinnied excitedly and nuzzled Erika, making the girl laugh. She gently petted Nemain's face. "Let's get ready for the practice run."
Erika could be seen leading Nemain with her new riding equipment. Nemain could be seen wearing a new black snaffle bridle highlighted in silver, while the vibrant purple riding blanket is secured by a black English saddle.
Some curious stablehands and uncertain riders watching Erika leading Nemain towards the arena from their seats. Herman was waiting for Erika and Nemain in the arena.
Erika seemed uncertain about riding, but her uncertainty seemed to have faded away as Nemain lovingly nuzzled her head against hers. She strapped her fingerless riding gloves and put the helmet onto her head. Her eyes shone with determination and excitement.
It was a clear, breezy day, and trees were swaying in the wind. Out of the corner of Erika's eye, she could see that stablehands and the riders were studying her and Nemain too. They left behind at a tree-lined road and the yellow brick buildings and walked out through the north gate, which led to the big paddock.
Erika put her foot in one of the stirrups and flung herself onto the saddle. She slipped her other foot into other stirrup and took hold of the reins. She walked on slowly in a circle inside of the paddock.
After a few minutes, Erika had finally stopped trembling. Nemain walked forward smoothly and gently, peering up at Erika. If horse can smile, Nemain just did. She smiled back at the mare and felt a gentle touch of tears in her eyes. It was tears of joy and massive pride.
After a bit, Nemain trotted for a bit until she finally broke into a smooth, flowing canter. They were flying together, as though they're one in the same. A gentle summer breeze ran through Erika's hair, scattering light golden gleams in her hair. She and Tempest seemed to be one and the same. She was smiling brightly and Nemain let out a loud whinny. While Herman laughed joyfully and an explosion of cheering from the kids could be heard.
But at the staircase Alex, who was watching Erika with a concerned frown from her seat. Sitting next to Alex was Linda, who was writing something in her journal and looked up once in a while.
Alex gazed at Erika on Nemain as she broke into a graceful gallop. She watched as Erika rode Nemain in galloping circles. But she narrowed her eyes and frowned in concern when she saw Erika secretly favoring her right hand.
"Linda." The mentioned girl looked up from her journal and glanced at Alex. "I think she sprained her wrist."
Linda hummed thoughtfully and followed Alex's concerned gaze. She watched as Erika rode Nemain in galloping circles. But she frowned in concern when she saw the newest girl rider secretly favoring her left hand. "I don't think so." Linda spotted Erika's flicking eyes, as if she was making sure that nobody had noticed her secret pain, and seemed to be checking her right hand for some reason. "I think she might have a scar somewhere on her hand."
Alex gave Linda a sideways glance. "You think so?"
Linda nodded. "If she doesn't tell Herman, we will."
After the practice run, Erika was called to Herman's kitchen with the two girls. It showed Alex, Erika, and Linda sitting around a table and were watching Herman getting a plate. But outside showed Stein tending to the three horses.
He had placed a plate of freshly baked cookies and gave the girls three cups of Fanta soda. "Erika." She looked up from the cookies and met his eyes. He was calm and solemn towards her. "Remember what I told you about horse with magical abilities?"
"Umm... Yes?" Erika gazed at him, confused. "But this happened before I met Nemain."
"Exactly." Herman smiled at Erika emphatically. "And sometimes making contact with a rune stone could give you magical abilities too." Erika's eyes widened with shock.
"And, with the right horse, you might be able to unlock hidden potential." Alex patted Erika's shoulder with a smile.
"But I thought only the Soul Riders have such abilities," said Erika. "How is it possible for me and Nemain?"
"Well, for starters, your horse is a Starbreed, much like Tin-Can and Meteor is," explained Linda. "Nemain has the magic of the Lightning Circle. While you've made contact with a rune stone that gave you the magic from the Lightning Circle."
"But how's that possible?" Erika asked Alex.
"From what I can understand, rune stones each have some sort of pillar of magic," Alex continued for Linda. "The rune stones were made to protect the island from harm and sometimes give magic to people who'd found them by accident or by chance. The magic is usually given by what type of person you are." Alex's eyes gleamed with playful warmth. "I guess that means you're brave, tough risk-taker like me."
Erika cracked a smile at that and revealed the tattoo in the center of her right hand.

The sound of the birds could be heard in the morning. The adults had started heading towards their work. The teenagers had started working their morning jobs or meeting up with each other. While the kids had started helping their parents, playing with their older siblings or playing with their pets.
Erika was saddling Nemain by the barn. The girl glanced over her shoulder to see other riders taking care of their horses and the stablehands working everywhere in the stables.
But staying near Erika and Nemain was Linda grooming Meteor with a brush. Linda caught Erika's eye and winked at her playfully, making Erika glanced at her and smiled at Linda.
It soon changed into Erika riding a galloping Nemain and Alex riding a galloping Meteor on the trail towards the Crescent Moon Village. As they stopped on the top of a sunlit hill, the Crescent Moon Village felt calm and peaceful as it stood near the swamplands and some forests. The sounds of rapid hoof beats and the sounds of birdsong filled the air.
Erika narrowed her eyes with wary curiosity as she gazed at the village. She and Linda caught each other's eyes with silent words being spoken between them. At that, the two girls cantered down to the village.
Erika and Alex could be seen as they both slowed down to a trot into the village. The village was less active than in Jarlaheim, but it was quiet and full of hidden life. Erika looked around the laidback village curiously, with Nemain's ears twitched and sniffed the air. Erika spoke to a member of the townsfolk, who nodded and pointed to one of the houses nearby. Erika nodded and gave her gratitude to him before she rode away once again.
Erika looked around curiously as she continued riding through the village when she saw Helena Thrymson working in her garden.
The cottage was slightly hidden by the nearby forest. Outside of the cottage stood three horses (a dappled gray stallion named Oliver, a brown pinto mare named Patches, and a dark brown mare named Derby) eating from a trough. In the backyard, there was a small piece of land and behind the cottage was a barn and a larger paddock. Inside of the pasture are two cows, three pigs, and three goats.
"Grandma!" Erika cried out joyfully.
"Erika!" Grandma Helena smiled at the sight of the girl as she led her horse carefully into the garden. The two of them both hugged each other with Nemain joining them in their embrace while Linda and Meteor both watched their reunion.
The afternoon sky became and quickly changed to the kitchen in Helena Thrymson's cottage. It showed Erika and Linda both sitting around a table and were watching Helena getting a plate out of the oven.
She had placed a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and gave the girls cups of cool drinks.
"Erika." She looked up at Helena, looking confused and curious as her grandmother took out a book. It seems to be bound in soft leather brown leather, which made Erika become curious about it. "This belongs to one of our ancestors." Helena soon gave it to Erika. "I want you to have it." Helena winked at her granddaughter playfully. "Just in case."
It seems to be bound in soft leather brown leather, which made Erika become curious about it. A forgotten diary maybe?
Helena had started telling the stories that people had loved to hear from the mysterious, but magical island of Jorvik. "Once upon a time within the magical world, there was an order of knightly warriors and druids, from a kingdom called Jorvik, who would rise each night into the darkness and perform noble deeds. They spoke of true words, their purpose was to right all wrongs, to make strong the weak, mend the broken, vanquish the evil, and make powerless those who abused the frail. With hearts sublime they would take flight."
Erika tilted her head curiously at Helena. "Is this story true, Grandma?"
"It's a legend, Erika," her grandma replied.
"Is true though?" Her blue eyes sparkled with curiosity.
Her grandma smiled at her warmly. "A legend, Erika, is a story that begin to feel in your mind and then over time it becomes true in your heart. And perhaps makes you become a better person."