Chapter Thirteen: Mutiny and Overthrow

April's POV

"What was that about?" Dominic asked me as he leaned against a nearby locker as I opened mine. 

I shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe she just wants to be nice." 

Dominic shook his head. "Nope,  I don't think so. And I think you need to be careful around her." 

I looked at him. "Dominic-" 

"No, I'm serious." He said, coming closer and wrapping both arms around my waist. He nestled his chin the crook of my neck. "I want you to be careful around her. Promise me." 

I laughed and rested my hands on his clasped hands on my stomach. "Yes, I promise. You can let go now." 

He pulled me in closer and tighter. "What if I don't want to?" 

The bell rang, signalling the beginning of first period. 

"Dominic, I have to go." I said, attempting to unclasp his hands from around my waist. He finally let go and I closed my locker as I looked up to meet his eyes. 

"I will see you after school." I said, giving him a kiss. "Behave yourself." 

"I will try." He said as he placed a peck on my forehead. 

I looked down as I adjusted my books in my hands and walked in the direction of my class. I looked back and saw that he hasn't moved from his spot. 

I smiled at him and kept walking. It was nice to have someone have your back. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I made my way to the gymnasium after school, I got a feeling of snakes in my stomach. Whatever I was about to walk into, I hoped that it wouldn't be too awful. 

As I walked through the double doors, I spotted the girls spread out across the floor, some doing stretches and the others going over the routine that was probably in store for the pep rally coming up. 

"Hey." Carmen said, running towards me. "Glad to see that you are dressed." She said, looking down at my uniform. 

I shrugged. "Yeah. Anyway, is this a practice?" 

She nodded. "Yeah. We have a whole new routine ready for the pep rally that is coming up in a few weeks. So we have to get started. I will give you a few minutes to stretch." 

Before I could respond, she spun on her heel and walked away before sitting on one of the bleachers. 

I shook my head as I made my way over to Brittany and Cynthia, two girls on the team that I became friends with while Carmen was out. 

"Hey, April." Brittany said, smiling at me. Her curly, rainbow-colored hair was tied up in a messy bun and her face was washed of the eyeliner and foundation that she was wearing in class today. "What's up?" 

I shrugged as I extended a leg in front of me with my other bent inwards and reached forward, stretching my hamstrings. "Nothing. Are you guys happy that Carmen is back?" 

Surprisingly, they shook their heads. 

"Nah." Cynthia said, reaching over to her left side with her right arm over her head. "None of us are, actually?" 

I looked at them incredulously. "Are you serious?" I asked.

They both nodded. 

"Carmen is just so pushy and angry all the time." Cynthia said boldly. "She was much more useful when she was in a cast." 

"Aw, don't say that." I said, trying to stick up for Carmen. Even though I was cautious around her, that doesn't mean that I would talk bad about her.