Chapter One: Opportunities

All rights reserved. No part of this story can be used or reproduced in any way. Do not copy the book, publication, or ideas with the author's written permission. Thank you!  

April's POV 

Beep, beep beep beep, beep. 

I rolled over on the side of my bed and shut of my alarm clock, reminding me for the third time this morning that I had to get up and get ready for school. I struggled to get out of my bed and let out a sigh when I finally stood up and slid into my bunny slippers. I trudged along to the bathroom and turned on the tap water to brush my teeth. As I looked up in the mirror, I couldn't help but to hate what was looking back at me. My round face was dotted with red pimples and my short brown hair was matted on top of my head that resembled a a dog that hasn't been brushed in years. 

I grabbed my pink toothbrush, squeezed some Colgate on it, and brushed for three minutes. I spit out the water and attempted to smile in the mirror. My teeth were nearly white, but it didn't help that my smile looked awful. I went back to my signature frown, undressed, and took a short shower before pulling on my school uniform. I hated the school uniform because it made look bigger than I actually was. 

Not that my real size was any better. I was just a little over 300 pounds and wore an XXXXL in all my clothes. 

I pulled my matted hair into a ponytail and grabbed my backpack with completed homework and headed downstairs for breakfast. I poured myself some Froot Loops and milk in my orange bowl and shoved a spoonful into my mouth. 

"Good morning, sweetie!" I heard my mother chirp from the doorway of the kitchen. 

"Is it really?" I replied, eating another spoonful of my cereal silently. I watched as she went over to Keurig and heated up a cup of green tea. She looked over at me and tilted her head to one side. 

"Are you sure you don't want to have some fruit and oatmeal instead, honey?"

Here we go again. Every day, my mother constantly reminds me of how fat I am and makes underhanded comments about how I should lose weight. I have always wanted to be thinner, but I never really had the willpower or the incentive. Although I did want to be skinny and pretty, I don't want it to be just because my mommy told me to. 

"No, thanks. I'm good." 

"Are you sure? It will help y-" 

"I said I'm good." I said, cutting her off abruptly.

There was a long silence before the lights on the Keurig started blinking. She spun around and placed her cup in it and pressed the "small cup" button. I looked at the watch on my wrist and realized that I only had ten minutes to reach to school before I was late. I ate the rest of my cereal and drank all my milk before saying "good bye" to my mother and walking out the door. As I walked down the street, I listened to the noise my feet made which each step. 

Plop, plop. Plop, plop. 

I plopped all the way to school and groaned when I realized that not only was I late, but I was ten minutes late, I sighed as I went to the main office to sign in and mark myself as late. I walked in and signed myself in. As I looked up, I met Ms. Carmine with a fake smile plastered on her face. 

"Late again, sweetie?" 

Wow, I didn't know I was late. Thanks for telling me.  But instead, I gave her a simple nod. 

"Maybe if you tried running, you wouldn't be late so much." 

"What's that supposed to mean?"